Truck & Bus Forum

Truck & Bus Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/index.php)
-   Drivers Discussion Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   CB Radio nostalgia (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=505)

billyboy 19th November 2008 21:30

"Green Goddess" on the M1 near the chimneys was also very good for road reports.
"Tin Lizzie" of Warwick area was directing drivers around the various industrial sites for a long time. Her Husband "true blue" was good at it too.

Come on all you old CB'ers where are you these days?
CB has in the past helped a lot of people, even saved lifes. I believe there are some AM sets comming out of mothballs as we speak.

les turnbull 19th November 2008 21:51

big four

there were lots of times when we couldnt get anyone because some homebase dipstick would be playing music on channel 19 , is that a roger.

billyboy 19th November 2008 21:55

Thats a big 10/4 Less. Experienced that myself on 19. They did'nt have the brains to do it on another channel.

Andy 19th November 2008 22:01

And the squeakies ;)

billyboy 19th November 2008 22:38

Yes that's right. there was a squeaky in the London area I heard once.Weird sounding character. Had a whisperer once too

coastie 20th November 2008 01:12

We used to have a Midland 5/8ths on the roof of our three storey house and run a Cobra 148. That used to get out well!! In the car I had a 148 or a Cobra 19 and a boot mount K40.

I still have them, but have nothing to put the boot mount on these days as the car is an estate. Would like to one day find a K40 mag mount.

billyboy 20th November 2008 01:38

The mag mount in the middle of the roof is favorite. Makes for a good ground plane and brings the SWR down too

Andy 20th November 2008 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by coastie (Post 1483)
We used to have a Midland 5/8ths on the roof of our three storey house and run a Cobra 148. That used to get out well!! In the car I had a 148 or a Cobra 19 and a boot mount K40.

I still have them, but have nothing to put the boot mount on these days as the car is an estate. Would like to one day find a K40 mag mount.

I used to have a Cobra 148 (and it's close relative the Superstar 360), one of the very best. Then again, there weren't many radios I didn't own at one stage or another back then :D

Andy 20th November 2008 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyboy (Post 1485)
The mag mount in the middle of the roof is favorite. Makes for a good ground plane and brings the SWR down too

Yep, it all gets a bit too directional if the antenna is right at the back.
I remember speaking to a guy in the old East Germany on 11m ssb, he used a magmount on a metal ironing board in his flat... we just risked a fine in the u.k., he was risking a hell of a lot more. It's one thing having 'Busby' or the RIS knocking at the front door... imagine having the STASI turning up :eek:

cheers,
Andy

G6 UXU 20th November 2008 15:48

My first radio was a Bristol 40ch AM only and it was this little radio that I picked up in Dublin for £65.00 with a DV27 in 1977, it was unbelievable way back then talking to the truckers in the states with no linear, my handle was Trader. All the best.