Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
20:47
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Bus & Coach Forums > Vintage Bus & Coach Discussion

Old 24th August 2014, 16:44

Bedford PJK Library Bus

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum after lurking for a couple of months, but I am now the owner of a 1984 Bedford PJK former Library bus (non-runner). The engine is a Bedford 330 cu in with a turbo and a CAV fuel pump.

In my attempt to get it started I'm not having a great deal of luck and I wondered if anyone can help?

The fuel tank was in an awful state, so rather than remediate it, I've rigged up a temporary fuel tank so that I can move it into a better spot as it's currently parked up on an uneven surface.

I've got power and it turns over okay, I've also bled the system and have a strong air - free jet of fuel coming out at the pump housing (not from the bleed screw above!) and at the injectors. Sadly, it still won't start! Do you think there's anything else I can be doing? I really don't want to reach for the easy start!
Old 24th August 2014, 17:07

Welcome to the T&B Forum, Badger, I am sure one or two of our members should be able to help.
Old 24th August 2014, 17:09

Welcome to Truck and Bus Forum, Badger.
Unfortunately the detail of engine starting is beyond my experience.
I expect that there are others here that can advise you better than myself.
Old 24th August 2014, 17:15

Just a thought - was the engine a runner before you acquired it?

Did the previous owner 'abandon' it because it wouldn't run?

Has the timing been disturbed?

Is the battery sufficiently powerful to turn over the engine 'quickly'?
Old 24th August 2014, 17:40

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! I'm looking forward to the bumpy ride of ownership!

G-CPTN: The bus wasn't a runner before I acquired it, and it has been stood for approximately 3 years in its current location having been purchased from a council auction for conversion into a mobile sewing machine classroom. Sadly for the current owner, the funding from the government upon which their business idea was based, was pulled. The bus was promptly parked up and used as storage for polystyrene packing and dead flies.

Guessing that the batteries were beyond hope to charge (originally fitted with two 6v's), I purchased a brand new 12v battery with a slightly higher CCA, but otherwise similar. The bus was a good runner and nothing has been touched since the day it was parked up, I was told that by two neighbours of the seller, one of whom is on good terms with them and one who is on bad terms, so I have no reason to doubt the back story. Sadly I only have this and no other proof.
Old 24th August 2014, 17:54

Check the bulbs to see whether the electrical system is meant to be 12 volts or 24 volts.

I presume you have renewed the fuel filter(s) and that you are using 'fresh' fuel?
Old 24th August 2014, 18:04

Thanks G-CPTN. Both the fuel and filters are fresh, and it's definitely a 12v system. I felt like I was getting somewhere today as I could almost smell the spent diesel. I wonder if I flooded the engine? I tried the cold start as well, but I think that's probably not operational. I also made sure the engine cut off linkage arm was reset to the run position. Still drawing a blank.