Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
17:43
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Bus & Coach Forums > Vintage Bus & Coach Discussion

Old 17th October 2008, 09:11

Thumbs up conductors/connies

hi everybody.i think we should start a thread on connies.i started with bournemouth corporation transport in 1970 and spent months as a conductor before i could go into driving school and i learnt more about life and people in those few months than any time of my life.its always hard to get passengers to part with their money for fare than pulling nails.i think i have heard every excuse for not having the money and of course after a couple of ails they excuses get better. so lets hear some of your favorites . mike.
Old 17th October 2008, 09:22

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
I started "In the straps" at Seaford depot for Southdown. Some memorable moments from those times.
Like the hard faced old geezer with the rolled umbrella, Bowler and briefcase who always without fail offered a pound note first thing in the morning, always said "Sorry that all i have" Got a load of small change ready for him one day and went to great lengths to count it all into his hands much to the amusement of the other regular passengers. When i finished counting it out his face was a picture when I said "Sorry thats all i have" ... "I will go and get you a bag to put it in" He always had the right fare after that
Old 17th October 2008, 10:19

When I first started work, I caught the same bus every morning and always the same "Clippie" one morning it was busier than usual, I was sat on the long inwards facing seat (back loader) she ask me to ring the bus off from stops which I did that morning and every morning after that getting a free ride to work saving me 8d (about 3 new pence)

Ian
Old 17th October 2008, 20:25

Living in the country, our school bus was just the usual service bus and always seemed to be the same driver and conductor except once that I can remember, the driver took the wrong turning on the way home and he was soon put right by the shouting from within the bus.
I cracked my wrist one day and after suitable plastering job at hospital I was feeling pleased with myself as I was thinking no school for a while, however mother was thinking different and marched me out to the bus stop the next day. My face must have said it all as the conductor had a good laugh - never liked her anyway.
Old 18th October 2008, 09:29

i come from an upmarket town (bournemouth) and the passengers often had money and we use to get this tramp get on and sit next to any old girl who looked the richest and to see these old girls change seats so that he didnt sit next to them was so funny.we also use to an old couple get on the bus and they would never sit together but spend the whole trip arguing the full length of the bus i always thought they hated each other but when the old boy died she died soon after with a broken heart.its funny but we dont seem to have the characters around these days that use to be around.these days everybody seems so aggressive and rude. mike