Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
21:51
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th February 2012, 21:26

Bedford But Which Model??

Hello all, i'm hoping you guys might be able to help me! we own a 1982 Bedford Horsebox, it has a 3.6L 4 cyl diesel engine and 4 speed box. We don't know what model it is though, we have been told it is a TK but I have looked all over the place on the net and can't find a TK with the twin headlights! perhaps i'm being thick!!

Secondly does anyone know what the 'hand' warning light is on the dash?

Thanks all!
Mike

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/...ec771/box1.jpg
Old 11th February 2012, 22:56

This is a coachbuilt (think bus or removal van) body built onto what is probably a KB (TK) chassis (supplied to the bodybuilder without a cab).
Such a vehicle frequently had twin headlamps when equipped as a bus or coach (though usually on a larger chassis with a bigger engine).

The 4 cylinder engine was only fitted to 'low end' models of the TK range and was 220 cu ins (3600cc or 3.6 litre).

You should have a chassis plate somewhere (maybe on the passenger side wheelarch or maybe on the door pillar) that relates to one of the following models:-
http://www.avi-ltd.co.uk/id18.html

The string of letters beginning with E is the model designation (which replaced the earlier KA, KB, KC etc) and this will be needed to identify the vehicle for spares. There will be a string of numbers afterwards that identifies the date that your vehicle was built and will be needed to define any changes from earlier versions of similar vehicles.

You should also have a bodybuilder's identification plate (might be Willowbrook or Marsden or a particular builder of horseboxes) that will be needed for body spares (Bedford doors and windscreens will not fit).

I have found a photograph of your actual vehicle (the same photograph that you quoted) but it doesn't provide any further identification as to the name of the bodybuilder - but you should have that information either on the plate or maybe on the registration documentation (or the badge on the front!). The text claiming 7.5 tons GVW suggests a KC model, but the wheelbase looks short for a KC, so it might be a KB fitted with KC suspension to uprate it to 7500kg GVW.

As far as I can remember the hand warning lamp means Stop (ie don't drive) as there is a fault with the (usually) braking system.

Last edited by G-CPTN; 11th February 2012 at 23:07.
Old 12th February 2012, 10:36

Wow! wasn't expecting that!!

Many thanks for taking the time to get back to me. We had decided that due to personal circumstances we were going to sell her, I've been moaning about getting a classic car to restore but I have now decided to restore 'Bertha' instead - work with what ya got!

She is currently tested having gone straight through the test last year the VOSA testers commented on how clean she was, the chassis is unbelievable for the age but I know nothing about these so it will be fun...

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 12th February 2012, 10:53

Forgot to add the maker is 'McDonald Kane' I dont know if anybody has heard of these?