Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
09:03
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Bus & Coach Forums > Todays Bus & Coach News
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st October 2013, 19:07

Another Bridge Basher.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...herts-24608139

Definately wouldn,t try for driver of the year competition.He wants stuffing with the business end of a rag mans trumpet.

Last edited by Dingbat; 21st October 2013 at 19:17.
Old 21st October 2013, 19:33

I know that bridge (I used to live in Harpenden) and my son lives in St Albans and I regularly take the 321 bus to and from Luton which uses that route.
Old 21st October 2013, 19:38

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
When I saw your heading Dingbat, I thought you meant this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24602826

Testing, but give us a try: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com

Last edited by coastie; 21st October 2013 at 20:13.
Old 21st October 2013, 19:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie View Post
When I say your heading Dingbat, i thought you meant this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24602826
Missed that one Coastie.Cheer,s.
Old 21st October 2013, 20:13

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
You're welcome!

Testing, but give us a try: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
Old 21st October 2013, 20:33

With the two buses that I was called out to that had gone under bridges, both drivers were running back empty at the end of their duty, both drivers were off route taking a short cut that they had regularly used when they were driving a single deck bus. Most drivers have at some time been guilty of driving on auto-pilot I think, especially on roads that they use every day and that is what happened in these two accidents. Basically the drivers knew the roads but forgot what vehicle they were driving at the time, it's very easily done.
Old 21st October 2013, 21:30

Mea culpa - wrong bridge - the 321 bus doesn't use this route - it's another bridge in Walkers Road.

Station Road railway bridge (the crash bridge):-
https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=sta...=12,39.84,,0,0

Another report:- http://www.stalbansreview.co.uk/news...way_bus_crash/

Last edited by G-CPTN; 21st October 2013 at 21:40.
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
With the two buses that I was called out to that had gone under bridges, both drivers were running back empty at the end of their duty, both drivers were off route taking a short cut that they had regularly used when they were driving a single deck bus. Most drivers have at some time been guilty of driving on auto-pilot I think, especially on roads that they use every day and that is what happened in these two accidents. Basically the drivers knew the roads but forgot what vehicle they were driving at the time, it's very easily done.
On auto pilot or just not professionaly aware of what is going on around him, unprofessional observation. I.E. not reading signs ,the road etc.
Old 23rd October 2013, 08:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingbat View Post
On auto pilot or just not professionaly aware of what is going on around him, unprofessional observation. I.E. not reading signs ,the road etc.
My first thought was that the driver probably regularly drives single deckers. Imo reading the signs and being aware of surroundings important as that is wouldn't be relevant if your mind set at the time was in the wrong vehicle . Driver returning to depot empty, regularly using single deck vehicle, mind set dis engaged, possibly thinking of other things, auto pilot, I could visualise that.
Not very professional, but understandable.
Old 23rd October 2013, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper2 View Post
My first thought was that the driver probably regularly drives single deckers. Imo reading the signs and being aware of surroundings important as that is wouldn't be relevant if your mind set at the time was in the wrong vehicle . Driver returning to depot empty, regularly using single deck vehicle, mind set dis engaged, possibly thinking of other things, auto pilot, I could visualise that.
Not very professional, but understandable.
As a bus engineer I often worked anything up to 25 days without a break, coming off late shift at 01.30 and going back to start early shift at 05.30 with just a few hours sleep. Some times I would sit on the end of the bed after an hour of so of sleep and try to remember if I was supposed to be getting up to go to work or if I had just finished. Once or twice when driving home in the early hours I tried to drive my manual transmission car like an automatic, wondering why it was stalling as I drove round corners in top gear - this was after spending the night moving and shunting auto box buses. It was very common to do what was known as a 'double ' that's an early shift followed by a middle shift, staring at 05.30 and finishing at 22.30, then back the next morning to start all over again again. So yes I must admit to driving on auto some times, both in a bus as well as a car, but with a mortgage and bills to pay - extra money earned with overtime was always needed.