Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
11:57
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Bus & Coach Forums > Todays Bus & Coach News
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th October 2008, 00:35

Modern rear vision mirrors

I note with interest, the number of newer type coaches that are fitted with what I guess you could call antenna rear vision mirrors.
I am curious as to the response of drivers to this style of mirror. Are they as safe as the older style, given their distance from the driver's eye, or are they more of a distraction when in heavy traffic.
The other aspect that intrigues me, is that by there very design, they overhang the body in both forward and side-on profiles. I would tend to think that would place them at risk when driven by an inexperienced driver, or someone else reversing towards them.
I hasten to add, that I think visually they are an eyesore to someone who just likes to look at them.
Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers John
Old 14th October 2008, 21:29

I have never viewed an image in one, but assume that they must cut out the blind spot by the drivers area and probably would even enable a driver to view the side clearance in a tight gap, just before entering it. Maybe that is it. Maybe they are really to replace the drivers ears, from when he had to judge and listen for the crunch. Go on, be honest, we have all done it. Ha ha ha ha ha
Old 14th October 2008, 23:22

Quote:
Maybe they are really to replace the drivers ears, from when he had to judge and listen for the crunch. Go on, be honest, we have all done it. Ha ha ha ha ha
I did once - reversing a flatbed using exterior door mirrors only. I was concentrating on the clearance to the vehicles parked on each side, and . . . clang - a lamp-post right in the middle of the tailgate (only creeping so no damage done). . . .
Old 14th October 2008, 23:34

That's what I like, a bit of honesty.

Let's hear a few more confessions on the drivers discussion forum. Ha ha.
Old 15th October 2008, 02:52

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
Never backed into anything like that. However when I first started with a Pantech. I did manage to score a few shop signs, A Pub sign in littlehampton (just before the bridge)
Nopone seemed to know the exact hight of this vehicle other than it was the highest on the fleet (probably why I got it)
Believe it or not this wagon could NOT get under the bridges on the A1. I had to quickly learn how to read a road map to find diversions. And I do have to confess to scraping through a bridge on near flat tyres down in Devon and calling the tyre bloke out with his compressor. Hell of a big diversion that one. Oh yes and a Wall's ice cream sign in Gravesend. Happy days eh!
Old 16th October 2008, 16:34

Only drove one coach with this type of mirror, I had to take a replacement coach from the garage to a driver who had knocked the offside mirror off, so I don't really know what they are like to drive. I know it was b***** awful with NO mirror at all

Ian
Old 17th October 2008, 09:37

Know what you mean Ian. Some joker nicked my offside mirror in a coach park. bad scene getting home without it. had to twist the interior mirror to show the windows on the back off side of the coach. Bit scary at times but made it without a scrape.
Old 17th October 2008, 16:54

Did you not have your hand bag with you Billyboy?.

Says he, running for cover, like a rat up a drainpipe.
Old 17th October 2008, 20:07

Found this possible explanation -

The obvious benefit of providing Wide Range Rear View Mirror installed on both sides of the vehicles is providing the drivers with full rear view without blind spots. The rapid growth of vehicles in the world in the past (two) 2 decades, has attributed to the increase of road accidents, many of which occurred while changing lanes.

The obvious benefit is driving safety. Every time the driver looks at the Wide Range Rear View Mirrors on both sides, he/she will have full views and knows the traffic flows at the rear and the following of vehicles.

The additional benefit is that the driver of the vehicle now need not bend forward his/her body and look at the rear view mirror in order to cover the blind spots. He/She can now sit comfortably and look at the Wide Range Rear View Mirror and have the full view before changing lanes. Presently, more often than not, the driver is shocked when a vehicle passed through when he/she is intending to change lanes. Due to haste, lack of experience, bad judgement, and blind spots, had always resulted in a higher rate of vehicular collisions.

Still won't stop you having those brain dead moments of squeezing through a tight gap and forgetting about the mirrors - only done it once.
Old 17th October 2008, 23:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energumen View Post
Did you not have your hand bag with you Billyboy?.

Says he, running for cover, like a rat up a drainpipe.

Oh!...you are awful, but I like you ... LOL

Nah it was corporal jones's turn for the handbag mate