Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
22:38
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Todays Road Haulage Fleets

Old 23rd October 2009, 20:26

nobby dentrassangle

HI TO YOU ALL ,QUESTION who or which was the first general haulage company to be part run then taken over byNorbet dentrassangle in the uk.
Old 10th December 2011, 14:49

sheddicks from newport suoth wales i think
Old 10th December 2011, 22:02

Or, was it Aston Clinton Haulage. (Often refered to as Aids Clap & Herpes.)

For those that don't know, Aston Clinton was the village in which they were based.
Old 10th December 2011, 22:53

i forgot about that firm ACH they were from aston clinton in bucks were they not
Old 10th December 2011, 22:57

ach,denrassangle

Hi Rovbertdavy6, yes you are correct it was A.C.H. they had moved from the village to AYLESBURY when theywere taken over forget the year i worked for them at the time, i left and restated 4 times over my driving years working for them.best paid ,hardest job you could wish for ,,David FOWLER ,THE BOSS that was the family name,absoulty *******,,nearly all ITALY, GREECE, GERMANY, SWISS,
allways good kit ,spot on. first to have Magnams i never had one not a company man...scania ,volvos all top range.run as bent as you could they would pay the fines,,3 shifts calais to brindeis,barra,providing the blanc was ok.
good or bad old days. the new age drivers now have no idea what driving was about. probly a good thing..i am now retired.but you dont forget...
some of the old hands were ex middle east men,so the runs were set..we all got done inMarch1994 mega fines ach./nobby paid lost loads of licences etc .18 t0 20 hours tachos.good old days.r/grds deckboypeggy...alias
Old 10th December 2011, 23:00

Wonderful stories, deckboypeggy.

Keep them coming!
Old 10th December 2011, 23:43

I knew some of the ACH drivers by sight, from running to Italy myself. As usual didn't know any names. Just, maybe, sometimes you would learn a C.B. "handle".

We weren't allowed to run bent. We were always legal(ish). One time, cleaing customs at Congorezzo the driver (not ACH) was out of hours at the same time as me but, I parked up and he didn't. He tipped his groupage, in Milan, that night. He then drove to his 1st "on wheels" delivery.
The next time I saw him, he had been back to their yard, in the North-West of England (tipped & reloaded) and was on his way back south. We waved at each other, somewhere between Calais and Paris. I was still heading home from my trip and he was on his 2nd.
I later heard that he'd come to greif on the Blanc. Went straight on, when he should've followed the curve of the road. Tis a long way to the bottom.

I've a few more tales from those days. Possibly, the best days of my working life.
Old 11th December 2011, 17:16

Hi robertdavy6 wereyou on AI FROM LEEDS OR Bowkers,FUNNY ifinished my driving on BOWKERS,now they were a good out fit,how i wished i had lived up north then they would only employ blackburn.preston local lads,, we moved to blackpool in1990 but i still worked in the south,ACH,ROKOLD, PULLEYNS,SOLSTOR.ALL GOOD FIRMS 3to 4 weeks away then 3 days home then at last got on to BOWKERS ,THAT WOULD DO FOR ME.i am thinking of writing a book about my road haulage but no one would belive 90percent of it.

WHO remembers the old roads to ITALY, chasing round the paris parifaphiqie [ring road]doging the police at payagies if you spotted them first.to anyone who didnt know the first bung was at the customs Calais when you was all done[papers stamped,permits/or a EECbook if you were lucky, you drove up to the exit the gate and a customs man would get on the door step to look at your fuel guge ,it was allways full and you would slip him 20francs and off you go. i had a mate who would wind all the new blokes up,you would spot them a mile off in dover,and hear them.most blokes kept quite,and listened thatwas the way you learned,anyway he would tell them that they had to do a food delcaration form from "Cluses" for the italians in Aosta and that you needed a crash hat for the blanc.,as well as "snow chains in the winter which you were suppossed to have" we would have great fun ,sadly at their exspence. THE BAKE HOUSE .THE MONKEY HOUSE .THE WHITE HOUSE.CLUSES all good eating houses.
Old 11th December 2011, 22:42

Don't forget the Sisters, at Arluno or, was it Carissio? I never went but I heard about it. If I remember correctly, there were two sisters. Born in England but living in Italy and a brother. He was born in Italy but lived in England.

There was also a good place at St Pietro in Gu. Part of the old station buildings. There was a lyby on the opposite side of the road. I spent one night in there. There was a Dutch driver, Italian staff, drivers from (at least France & Germany. Plus myself. Of course, the Dutchman was translating for every one else.

I worked for Bibby Distribution. Though, I think on my first trip (setting off on 19th November 1981) the unit was still in TWF's colours.
We worked for Nedlloyd or Merzario to Italy.
Old 12th December 2011, 04:21

Great stories Guys, keep them coming.
I've just shouted myself for Xmas, a couple of books, and a DVD about Middle East trucking, all from Amazon. (Free post to NZ, saved 24 quid)
Can't wait to get them.

I read the book "Juggernaut" a few years ago about Middle East trucking, Great read, I couldn't put it down.

So, as I said, keep the stories coming.