Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
18:53
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd February 2012, 20:50

bedford tk/mk cab

hi all
i have for sale a tk/mk cab in very good condition
looking for £150 please contact me for further details
thanks paul
Old 8th April 2012, 18:37

I have a tk 6 cylinder am planning to put it on the road for long distance journeys but am worried about the fuel consumption because its a petrol engine any help please.
And the power to climb hills how powerfull is this engine i checked on the door its written HcB-AnGus Limited Totton Southampton England its like it used to be a fire engine.
Old 8th April 2012, 18:56

Almost certainly an ex-fire engine - they were frequently fitted with petrol engines for 'performance'.

Fuel economy will be worse than an equivalent diesel.

The engine should 300 cu ins or 4.9 litres.
Old 8th April 2012, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by amin001 View Post
how powerfull is this engine
The standard engine is 115 hp at 3.400 rpm I believe.
Does your engine have two carburettors? If so, it will be more powerful.

The engine is usually reliable (unless you abuse it by overheating of course). Avoid switching it off immediately after flat-out running or at the top of a steep hill - allow it to idle until it has cooled down - otherwise it will 'run-on' due to pre-ignition from the residual heat in the head - though this doesn't seem to do any serious damage, but it can be alarming.

It is derived from the 1929 Chevrolet Stove-bolt engine and many many thousand were built. The Bedford R and S types (including the Green Goddesses) used this engine, so knowledge and spares are plentiful.
Old 9th April 2012, 06:17

Thank you for the reply it seems the only problem am gona i have is fuel consumption you know petrol is too expensive now is there no other way to reduce it consuming too much petrol it has one carburettors.
You said power of the engine is okay for long distance and climbing hills is it.
Old 9th April 2012, 09:09

What about LPG?
Old 9th April 2012, 09:20

The obvious solution would be to fit the 330cu in (5.4 litre) Bedford diesel engine.
106 HP @ 2700 RPM and 238 lb/ft torque.

Another reliable engine and freely available - it was the standard option for your vehicle.

Top speed might be slower due to lower governed speed of 2700 RPM (300cu in petrol is 3400 RPM) but hill-climbing shouldn't be affected.
Old 9th April 2012, 20:38

Is it possible for u to get this engine 330cu for me tell me the price and the shipping together is it gona use the same gear box for petrol and this one for diesel plz tell me how many litters of fuel it can use per 100 km.
And this engine is it a 6 cylinder.
Old 9th April 2012, 21:09

I'm not able to source any parts for you - I'm well and truly retired and have been for many years.

There will be many, many vehicles where you are that will use the Bedford 330 cu in engine so there will be some in scrapyards or in engine reconditioners and repairers. It is a six cylinder engine like yours.
Customers had the option of either petrol or diesel - most chose diesel, but for fire engines where speed was essential the 300 cu in petrol engine was the preferred option until much larger (466 cu in / 7.6 litre) diesel engines were introduced. Of course these were also much heavier, but fire engines tended to run at lower vehicle weights anyway so the difference was worth it for the extra performance.

I don't have the specifications of the ratios of the gears so I'm afraid I cannot advise you but any garage that works with Bedfords should be able to help you.

I would suggest that you persevere with the petrol engine - at least at first.
Old 9th April 2012, 21:28

Thank you i think let me just manage the petrol engine what if i try to fit a smaller carburetor what will happen is it still gona consume to much fuel or it will lose power and suffocate.