Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
21:22
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion

Old 29th March 2016, 04:01

Bedford wedge brakes

I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with the setting up of the wedge brakes on a 1977 Tk750.

What started out as simply replacing the cups in a rear wheel cylinder has turned into a major reco of the cylinder.

I stripped the cylinder out and as usual there was a lot of rust and gunk on and in the cylinder. After cleaning, wire wheel buffing, swearing,more cleaning, etc, I re-assembled the cylinder to the point of trying to figure out the adjustment of the inner rod connecting the roller mechanism to the cylinder.

The only way of locking the threaded inner rod in place would be the positioning of it in the wedge mechanism or tightening the rod fully thus preventing it from rotating.

At this point I am unsure if this rod should be threaded all the way in, bottoming it, or is there an adjustment specifically to suit each individual wheel setup.

Any advise appreciated.

Peter
Old 29th March 2016, 09:28

Well I bit the bullet and tightened up the inner rod and reassembled the cylinder to the brakes.

Opened up the bleed screw, filled the reservoir, adjusted the brakes and gave the pedal a few pumps and topped it up again with a hose from the bleed valve to above the reservoir level and I'll let it try to self bleed overnight.

If I've got it wrong I guess I'll find out tomorrow.