Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
18:41
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th April 2013, 21:50

The following instructions apply specifically to the inline injection pump and may not be relevant for your rotary pump.
Read them carefully and work out your own sequence:-

Removal:-
Quote:
Remove the fuel injection pipes and disconnect the pipes from the governor.

Clean around the unions and disconnect the fuel and lubricating oil pipes. Seal the ends of the pipes to prevent the entry of dirt.

Detach the stop control wire.

Slacken the bolt clamping the coupling flange to the compressor shaft.

Remove the bolts securing the pump to the carrier and the support bracket to the crankcase.

Remove the pump by easing it rearwards. If necessary, loosen the coupling flange from the compressor shaft by gently driving a wedge into the slot of the flange.

Remove the support bracket from the pump.
Installation:-
Quote:
Note the following:-

Assemble the coupling to the injection pump before installing the pump. Tighten the coupling securing nut to the specified torque (33 lb ft).

Check the spill timing.

Top up the cambox with engine oil until the oil flows from the return pipe orifice on the pump.

Assemble the support bracket to the pump and lightly tighten the bolts.

With the pump in position, lightly tighten the pump to carrier bolts. These bolts are longer than the those for the support bracket.

Install the support bracket to crankcase bolts and tighten all bolts gradually and evenly. The bolt holes in the pump flange and support bracket are enlarged so that alignment between the pump and support bracket can be obtained. Finally tighten the pump to support bracket bolts to the specified torque (9 lb ft).

Before tightening the coupling clamp bolt, check that .020 inch end clearance exists between the metal parts of the coupling, to avoid end thrust on the pump camshaft. If necessary, adjust the endwise position of the coupling flange on the compressor shaft.

Reset the pump timing.

Install the fuel injection pipes (If necessary refer to a photograph of the existing arrangement).

Check, and, if necessary, adjust the governor settings.

Last edited by G-CPTN; 30th April 2013 at 21:52.
Old 30th April 2013, 22:12

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
Who needs "Haynes" eh?

Testing, but give us a try: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
Old 30th April 2013, 22:13

Thank you for the information. From what I understand from those intructions is sounds difficult not to disturb the timing, especially considered how hard to reach this is. I can see the timing cover, but I can't really understand that it's possible to see anything down the hole if I remove it, since I can under no circumstances get my head directly above the hole. I've tried doing such things with mirrors before, but that tends to be a much better idea in theory than reality.

Even though it's not much to think about because I'd probably need both a different "adapter" connecting the pump to the compressor and different injector pipes, I happen to have several Minimec pumps from Ford D-series 330 cu's. It's a bit annoying having those around when I know that they too have been used for this engine while my pump is currently "dead".

I think I'll have to consider carefully what to do next..
Old 30th April 2013, 22:31

Time to enlist the help (or at least the advice) of a vehicle mechanic familiar with Bedford TK engine repairs.
Old 30th April 2013, 23:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
Time to enlist the help (or at least the advice) of a vehicle mechanic familiar with Bedford TK engine repairs.
Hehe, sure, but where do I find him/her? There aren't many Bedfords left here in Norway, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't find a garage that would fix it even if I could afford their ridiculous fees. Those that once worked on them are retired a long time ago. I even asked at the local GM dealer where they once sold my Bedford new, and the last one that knew those retired many years ago. They have absolutely no idea Bedford at all.

That's the reason I'm writing here, in the hope that someone who knows could answer.