Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
00:03
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd December 2023, 21:04

BEDFORD TK Temperature Sensor

Hi All,
I'm a newby to this forum. I joined as I'm helping a friend fix his 1964 Bedford TK (6.54L diesel, 400cci) in New Zealand.

The temperature sensor was broken (permanent open circuit). It was marked as AC 4751) So he bought a replacement, not marked, and with this fitted it indicates the engine is overheating. Well its not overheating having checked the engine with a new capillary type thermo sensor jury rigged up in the engine bay. If anything its running a bit cold!

The new sender unit does give resistance readings, I can't recall them as I write, but they did decrease as the temp increased in temp as they should. There are no sudden jerks in the readings which would indicate an occasional short, and the sensor wire is not grounded. So I figure its ether the sensor or the gauge. The most likely offender being the sender as it was definitely faulty. However, as this vehicle was unused for many years as it was in a New Zealand museum it could be the fuel gauge as well perhaps?

So I started the quest to find the correct sensor and have failed. Have seen one on the web with part number 7954751, so shares its last four digits with the one removed, but that's not available. Also one on ebay stamped with TT3 (which is a Wipac number) and compatible with other models including TK. Note I'm currently in NZ so want to be certain before shipping over.

So any ideas where I can identify the correct one?
Anybody got a parts manual for a TK?
Anybody know the correct resistance reading on a TK?

As an additional question anybody know if the fuel gauge can be adjusted? As its an old one I wondered if it could be trimmed.
Thanking you all in advance.
Regards.