Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
06:47
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th September 2008, 17:09

Send a message via AIM to ceylon220
The old type Albion wagon

Albion Clydesdales, the truck with the wooden joisted cabs,drove one of these in the early 60s, the joists would move about when travelling,no sleeper cabs then, had to sleep across the seats on a plank of wood and the boss paid me a £1 night allowance, pay was £12 a week,can`t remember if we got overtime payment then. The other Albion was the Revier 6 wheeler with a trailing axle ,there was a craze in the 60s at cutting these up and creating an artic unit but they lacked the power to do the job.
Those were the days"Tramps of the road", falsifying your log sheets to get home or to earn more from your tight fisted bosses, all went well until the ministry report came thro saying you had been spotted in an area which your log did`nt specify--try getting out of that!!!
Old 25th September 2008, 12:29

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
ha ha ha!....been there done that. Ministry man came to the transport office.; Looked through my log sheets and said "Is that your signature"?...yes sir. "How about this one then"?
Is this correct you were parked up in Warwickshire at 6pm?...yes sir..."thats odd then, Our man clocked you in north Devon at 8pm that night.
I got done 20 quid for that. Transport manager got 40 quid for allowing me to do it. (big money in those days! (seem to remember it was 10 pm when i got back to the yard....LOL
Old 25th September 2008, 19:56

I've been in the same position myself thinking I had been "silent checked" and then waiting for the Ministry man to turn up.
The worst one was when I thought I had been checked at Lichfield (before the by-pass was built) one Saturday evening way over my time and about two bob in my pocket.I had booked off at Swansea but was determined to get home.There weren't many wagons about late on Saturdays and I must have stuck out like a sore thumb. I thought to myself "I'll get time for this" and was wittled to death for at least three weeks but never heard owt.
I must admit I've been very lucky not to get caught as I knew plenty who had.
Old 25th September 2008, 20:39

When the days of the British Road Service (BRS) were in operation here in West Cumberland, they travelled in convoy -5 wagons-going thro the Lakes,south, we would meet up with them at Cockermouth and tag on behind them, this would be about 4-5 am and going thro Keswick town centre the ministry man would be sitting there in his car , no lights showing but we all knew it was him so on those days we would travel legally down to L`pool Docks because you knew that if he was there then the ministry would be checking you on the way back, and you had to be careful on what loads you picked up on the return journey as the old A. B -RESTRICTED B. and the C licence was displayed on your screen, you were only allowed certain type loads depending on the class of licence.
Old 25th September 2008, 21:26

When did the A,B,C licence system finish? "A" licences were like gold dust and I remember seeing all the licence applications in Commercial Motor.

A ministry man from Penistone used to park at Flouch Crossroads(now a roundabout) and all Sheffield drivers knew him,even wave to him. A favourite parking place on a dodgy was at the back of the Dog and Partridge pub about a mile further west.The ministry man once went on there to take reg numbers and company names off the wagons and was seen off by the landlord's alsatian.
When the old log sheets were superceded by numbered books it cocked things up a bit but never put me off.I used to run with a blank sheet and if you got the headlight flash it was time to pull in and put summat on it.
Old 27th September 2008, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandator View Post
When did the A,B,C licence system finish? "A" licences were like gold dust and I remember seeing all the licence applications in Commercial Motor.

A ministry man from Penistone used to park at Flouch Crossroads(now a roundabout) and all Sheffield drivers knew him,even wave to him. A favourite parking place on a dodgy was at the back of the Dog and Partridge pub about a mile further west.The ministry man once went on there to take reg numbers and company names off the wagons and was seen off by the landlord's alsatian.
When the old log sheets were superceded by numbered books it cocked things up a bit but never put me off.I used to run with a blank sheet and if you got the headlight flash it was time to pull in and put summat on it.
Been sitting on the sea front waving my arms off but did`nt see you waving back-ha, ha,---now you have started something off , when did the old A,B,C licences disappear, that my friend has made me think, could it be in the late 60s early 70s anyway when it did it gave the small hauliers more scope as everything had been in the large hauliers favour for years even now anyone wanting return loads from N Scotland have to go thro the big boys to sub contract, everything is tied up by them unless of course things have again changed since my days.

Dave
Old 27th September 2008, 23:23

I'm guessing the old licences were abolished in 1968 with the new Road Transport Act.

Can't see Cumbria tonight from IOM - it's raining Dave

But on a good day I can see Tyson H.Burridges drivers filling up in Egremont

Chris.
Old 9th October 2008, 11:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
Been sitting on the sea front waving my arms off but did`nt see you waving back-ha, ha,---now you have started something off , when did the old A,B,C licences disappear, that my friend has made me think, could it be in the late 60s early 70s anyway when it did it gave the small hauliers more scope as everything had been in the large hauliers favour for years even now anyone wanting return loads from N Scotland have to go thro the big boys to sub contract, everything is tied up by them unless of course things have again changed since my days.

Dave
deckboypeggy
well! was that you waving ,i thought "got to be a old sea salt or trucker" because only us ex travellers some time had wished we had jumped in the sea. if you had ever had to stay in some of the scottish digs esp if MUNROS drivers were there in their bib and bracces and selp in their boots, on,TRUE.late 60tysthe old A.B.C LIENCES finished.was BRSwho had the monopoly then.now just a few.1 from carlise,excel is a throwback from BRS in the70s.. Not many older drivers left who would remember the 50tys however they would appreciate the present conditions for sure,what do you think.
Im offdown the front now wear a brighter coat and ill spot you ,high tide at1630[flask and sarnies].
Old 9th October 2008, 20:40

You are too far away deckboypeggy,I live in the Isle of Man and Dave is in Cumbria.It would have to be an exceptionally clear day to see you in Littlehampton from IOM.
I thought ABC licences were abolished late 60s too.And I'm sure us old buggers would appreciate the wagons that are running about today even if the camaraderie is missing.
Must go,got a changeover in Ramsey
Sea's rough tonight,gale blowing,no fastcraft sailings to L'pool tomorrow.Good job we've the Ben - My - Chree plying twice daily to Heysham,otherwise Tesco would have nowt on t'shelves.
Old 10th October 2008, 08:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandator View Post
You are too far away deckboypeggy,I live in the Isle of Man and Dave is in Cumbria.It would have to be an exceptionally clear day to see you in Littlehampton from IOM.
I thought ABC licences were abolished late 60s too.And I'm sure us old buggers would appreciate the wagons that are running about today even if the camaraderie is missing.
Must go,got a changeover in Ramsey
Sea's rough tonight,gale blowing,no fastcraft sailings to L'pool tomorrow.Good job we've the Ben - My - Chree plying twice daily to Heysham,otherwise Tesco would have nowt on t'shelves.

Remember years ago driving on contract to a local foam company who made foam seats for the car industry,the trailers were aluminium single axle 40ft box vans which when travelling in high winds caused quite a bit of trouble keeping them on the road not like curtain siders where when empty you tied the curtains back,one instance was when two of the firms own units were going towards Shap on the M6 m/way one of the vans began to sway in the strong wind (fully loaded with foam) but kept on the concrete until just after Tebay where the hills part slightly and form a gully, this is where the wind gets up to speed at that point,the van ran on one wheel and over she went, the other driver following pulled up to see if his mate was ok ran to the overturned unit/van just as his own van toppled over in the wind, from that day the company placed a floor with a covering of 2"x2"concrete slabs, this helped a lot to keep their trailers firmly on the ground-----remember using the CBs and drivers asking what you were carrying and we would reply
"Glider engines"--we were not far wrong as these loads carried no weight at all.Another day again on the M6 near the M1 junction I peered thro the left hand mirror and saw smoke billowing out of the rear of the trailer(another load of foam) pulled in and found the rear brake drum alight--panic stations ---within minutes the police and fire service was on the scene, a passing motorist had got in touch with them, when asked what the load was the police immediatly closed the M/Way down, the fire brigade hosed the drum down and after an inspection sent me on my way to the nearest truck garage to replace the old shoes and repair what other damage there was, if the van had caught fire the whole area would have been cleared, these van had very little service given to them and were only given a seen too when due for test as most firms did in those days, makes you thankful for all these roadside ministry checks although a few won`t agree to that----the only check I make these days is to the Doc for my MOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too windy out there today and raining, I of M not in view so its a feet up day watching the rubbish on TV--By the way mate, have you checked to see if your cash is safe in that bank, worlds in a sorry state at the moment.