Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
11:44
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Other Road Transport > Transport Cafes - Past & Present

Old 16th October 2008, 08:04

A Bite to remember!

I think all of us have at some time on the road, come across a meal that took them by total surprise, whether it be by volume or contents.
I love driving, if I have three days off, one has to be on the road somewhere- definately some gypsy in my makeup!
Several years ago wifey and I were returning from Far North Queensland on Hwy 1, when we found a roadside tucker joint somewhere south of Mackay but well and truly out in the scrub. Called the Hamburger Hut, it fronted the highway and had a huge mob of Brahman cattle roaming in the long paddock behind.
We wheeled into the carpark and each ordered a "burger with the lot thanks".
Mine host asked were we sure we didn't want to share, and we laughed and left it at that.
Well, weren't we gobsmacked when two dinner plates appeared at our table.
On each one sat a single hamburger, sliced in half and individually wrapped, with little of the dinner plate surface to be seen!
A major accident occured about this time south of us, and we told the highway would be shut for at least an hour and a half.
"Well no need to rush now", I laughed as I set about this gastronomical challenge. Now I'm not the tallest bloke around, more in the "living proof gravity sucks" catergory in that respect, but I can "fang it" with most people as a rule.
Well, I got to tell you, this one had me beat. I managed to fit one wrapped half in before surrendering, and to cut a long story short, that was the only time in my life that one single hamburger become two meals and stuffed me both times! And it was b...... beautiful!
If anyone gets up that way in the future, let me know if there still cookin!
Cheers John
Old 16th October 2008, 08:20

Maybe I'd better fill you in on the filling.
Generally in Australia, this huge and mostly vacant land Down Under, a "hamburger with the lot" has a traditional set of fillings.(Dare not use the word- recipe) for something true blue like this! The strangest thing you may think, is that ham doesn't rate a mention.
A large round bun is sliced in half and toasted face down, then is filled with one or two good size grilled beef patties and grilled sliced onions, on top of which is grated lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced ring of cooked pineapple, one or two large slices of beetroot a soft-fried egg and a generous lashing of tomato or BBQ sauce.
Most Ozzies, although they frequent the American based fast food Burger chains in droves, bag them out cause "they don't know what a real burger is!"
I could eat them near every day!
Cheers John
Old 16th October 2008, 12:41

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
Now you make me feel hungry john...LOL
Old 16th October 2008, 20:38

With all those cattle in back, it sounds like fresh kill to me, truly eating on the hoof.
Old 30th September 2010, 13:55

Send a message via Skype™ to darloboy
ham buggars

as grey nomads we had some of the country style food on our 'grand tour' we often didn't know if we should eat it or climb it met some great characters great times we will go again when we can