Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
19:45
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Todays Road Haulage Fleets

Old 4th August 2009, 08:56

i believe the stobart group have signed a contract. with a german firm.to transport perishable goods by rail .to the u.k.from europe.?so cutting down on road transport.stobarts want to cut their carbon footprint.so nothing to do with profit then.?
Old 21st August 2009, 11:49

The next major step from Stobart, which is developing sea, air and rail freight business alongside trucking, is a chilled rail service from Spain to the UK further reducing the number of lorries on the road.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...oad/article.do
Old 21st August 2009, 12:09

Sounds promising!
Old 26th October 2009, 09:57

The Stobart train left Dagenham last Friday (23rd Oct) carrying empty pallets and trays and was scheduled to arrive in Valencia on Sunday evening.

The train is scheduled to leave Valencia on Tuesday on a two-day trip to the company's railhead in Dagenham, east London. It will carry 30 refrigerated containers crammed with tomatoes, lemons, oranges and other fruit and vegetables.
Old 26th October 2009, 11:40

Thank-you for that - I look forward to hearing of progress on this.
I know that 'we' are primarily interested in Trucks (and Buses), but, though I've spent my working life in the road transport industry I've always held the belief that rail should be an integrated part of the distribution network.
Over the years I've followed the abortive attempts to establish Roadrailers:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadrailer and also attempts to carry semitrailers on railcars - but the restricted 'gauge' (clearance height) of the UK rail system proved to be a stumbling point I believe.

As an aside I find the 'video' (actually time-lapse stills) on:-
http://www.stobartrail.co.uk/ interesting to watch.

There's also a video on the opening page of:- http://www.stobartgroup.co.uk/ though I haven't found any reference to the Valencia train. I presume that all the refrigerated containers are self-contained but do they draw the power needed from the train electrics rather than having 'donkey' engines? I wouldn't expect Eurotunnel to permit the use of donkey engines.

What happens when 'fridge trucks (reefer road trailers) travel through the tunnel? Do they get to plug-in to on-board electric?
Old 26th October 2009, 12:18

Interesting time-lapse video G-CPTN

A crucial element was obtaining pledges from both the French and Spanish rail networks that the train – which will be carrying perishable goods – will not suffer major delays.
"We can't have it being shunted into a siding and then forgotten about," said Stobart. "Getting promises that this won't happen has been vital in setting up this operation."

“There has been a real change of attitude from the companies we deal with in recent months, suddenly they all want to know if they can have their goods carried in an environmentally sensitive way and, in particular, if they can have them moved by train."
Old 26th October 2009, 12:54

It would be interesting to learn of how the train will negotiate the Channel Crossing.

I don't suppose that you can just turn up and pay a toll to drive through the tunnel.
Old 16th November 2009, 13:42

The train seems to have arrived ok –

The 60-hour, 1,100-mile journey, in conjunction with fellow road and rail operator DB Schenker arrived at the Ford Dagenham railhead with 30 containers - the equivalent to 30 truckloads.

The long-term plan is to move the trains' destination to Widnes, where the Stobart Group has built a new cold store.

http://www.transportintelligence.com...om-spain/5636/
Old 16th November 2009, 14:02

Thanks for the update.