Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
19:27
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion

Old 26th July 2013, 15:33

Tk bedford door glass

Hi all.... just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction....? I'm restoring a 1978 TK Bedford fire engine & need to remove the front door glass & push out windows as the rubbers are shot... anyone know how to do it?? Thanks in advance, Dave
Old 26th July 2013, 20:28

Bedford TK door window glasses removal.

1. Remove the door inside handles and trim pad:-
1.1. Remove the door lock remote control handle retaining screw and withdraw the handle.
1.2. The window regulator handle is held in place by a C-clip spring in a recess. To release this a tool with a broad flat blade with a U-shape cutout in the end can be made. Disengage the retaining spring clip from the recess in the handle spindle by pushing the tool upwards in line with the handle and withdraw the handle from the spindle.
1.3. Insert a large flat-bladed screwdriver between the trim pad and door panel and carefully prise out the trim fixing studs.

2. Remove the door window regulator:-
2.1. Lower the window.
2.2. Remove the door inside handles and trim pad (see above)
2.3. Remove the regulator aperture cover plate.
2.4. Remove the bolts securing the regulator to the door inner panel and slide the regulator arm off the window lift channel.
2.5. Wedge the glass in the closed position.
2.6. Lower the regulator to the bottom of the door and push the arm upwards until it is clear of the ventilator channel. Guide the arm of the regulator between the ventilator channel and door outer panel and withdraw the regulator through the door lower aperture.

3. Remove the door ventilator:-
3.1. Remove the door inside handles and trim pad (see above).
3.2. Remove the window surround moulding.
3.3. Remove the window regulator.
3.4. Remove the door belt inner draught strip.
3.5. Remove the five screws securing the ventilator. Push the ventilator inwards at the top and then pull upwards to withdraw.

To dismantle the door ventilator:-

3.5.1. Remove the self-locking nut from the lower pivot spindle and withdraw the washers and spring.
3.5.2. Remove the screws securing the lower pivot bracket and withdraw the bracket, fibre washer and ventilator stop.
3.5.3. Push the glass assembly towards the lower pivot whilst easing the the upper pivot clear of the ventilator frame, slide the upper pivot out of the groove formed in the underside of the weather strip and withdraw the glass assembly.
3.5.4. Ease out the glass run channel from the division channel and remove the retaining clips.
3.5.5. Drill out the rivets securing the weatherstrip to the door channel and lift away the weatherstrip.
3.5.6. Ease out the weatherstrip from the frame of the ventilator and lift away the weatherstrip.
3.5.7. If the ventilator glass is to be removed:-
3.5.7.a) Drive out the ventilator locking handle retaining pin (splined end first) and lift away the handle.
3.5.7.b) Remove the nut and washer securing the locking handle stud and push out the stud.
3.5.7.c) Remove the screws from the lower edge of the glass channel, then ease the rear section of the channel off the glass.
3.5.7.d) Gently prise the ends of the front channel outwards and withdraw the glass.

4. withdraw the (door) glass and channel.
If the glass or channel are to be renewed, proceed as follows.

4.1. Place the glass on a flat protected surface. Carefully tap off the channel by sliding a hammer along the glass and against the edge of the channel. Ensure that the hammer is free from burrs otherwise the glass may be scratched.
4.2. When removing broken glass, prise the broken fragments from the channel and carefully remove all the remaining fragments from inside the door. Ensure that the drain slot at the bottom of the door inner panel is unobstructed.
4.3. Remove the weatherstrip from the the window lift channel.
4.4. Rest the glass on its top edge and place the weatherstrip over the bottom edge of the glass so that the lip of the weatherstrip is towards the the outer face of the glass.
With the open side of the window lift channel towards the inner side of the glass, carefully tap the channel into position on the glass with a rubber mallet.
4.5. Cut off the surplus projecting above the edge of the channel on the inner side of the glass.
(take care not to score the glass as it might break)

I will post the instructions for reassembling later, meanwhile if you need clarification just ask and I can send you the diagrams from the service manual.

I will be away all day tomorrow, so it might be a while before I can get back to you.
Old 26th July 2013, 21:08

Tk door glass

Many thanks for that reply, very much appriciated!!! If there is a couple of diagrames available that would be fantantastic, but in the mean time I'll follow the instructions... without breaking the glass !! Many many thanks again!
Old 26th July 2013, 22:20

Releasing the retaining spring of a door window regulator handle.
Inset shows the retaining spring in the released position:-
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps5f946a05.jpg

The arrows indicate the door ventilator and division channel attaching screws:-
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps882518bd.jpg

Door ventilator friction control
1. Lower pivot bracket
2. Ventilator stop
3. Plain washers
4.Fibre washers
5. Spring
6. Self-locking nut :-
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps5487364e.jpg

Door ventilator stops on lower pivots, as seen from above with the ventilators closed:-
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps1d1e073f.jpg

Withdrawing a window glass:-
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps13f70ddd.jpg

Location of the lift channel on a door window glass.
The lip of the weatherstrip must be on the outer side of the glass as shown in section A-A:-
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps212c73fd.jpg
Old 26th July 2013, 23:36

Reassembly:-
Door ventilator:-
1. Rest the polished edge of the glass on a bench suitably protected by felt or similar material.
Place a new filler strip over the glass and tap the front channel into position on the glass with a rubber mallet.
2. Tap the rear channel into position and tighten the attaching screws.
3. Cut two holes in the filler strip using the holes in the locking lever handle bracket as a guide.
4. Assemble the locking handle stud, plain washer and nut, making sure that the flat on the head of the stud is in line with the edge of the channel on the outer edge of the assembly.
5. Cut off the surplus filler strip projecting above the channel and seal the ends of the channel with Glasticon (!) Sealing Compound.
6. Place the locking handle over the stud and drive in the retaining pin (plain end first).
7. Feed the weatherstrip into the groove of the ventilator frame making sure that the holes in the weatherstrip are in alignment with the hole at the top and bottom of the frame.
8. Rivet the division channel weatherstrip into position with the heads of the rivets towards the inner face of the channel.
9. Assemble the retaining clips to the glass run channel then press this channel into the division channel.
10. Position the glass assembly in the ventilator frame and assemble the ventilator stop to the lower pivot spindle as shown in the diagram.
Complete the assembly of the friction control as shown in the diagram.
These parts must NOT be lubricated!
11. Tighten the friction control nut on the lower pivot sufficiently to prevent the ventilator from closing by wind pressure when the vehicle is in motion.
Installation:-
Note the following:-
1. Locate the end of the ventilator division channel on the drop glass then push the ventilator into position, using an awl to lift the lip of the weatherstrip over the flange of the door frame.
2. Before finally tightening the division channel lower attaching screw, adjust the channel forwards or backwards to give free operation of the window glass without excessive side movement.
3. When installing the regulator aperture cover plate, seal the edges with Glasticord (!) Sealing Putty.
4. Install the door handles as described below.

Door window glasses:-
1. Coat the bearing surfaces of the window lift channel with grease.
2. Adjust the door division channel as described under door ventilators.

Door window regulators installation:-
1. Lubricate the bearing surfaces of the regulator and window lift channel with grease.
2. Seal the edges of the regulator aperture plate with Glasticord (!) Sealing Putty.
3. Install the door inside handles as described:-
1. With the windows closed the handles should be horizontal and facing forwards.
2. Ensure that the regulator handle retaining spring is seated correctly in the boss of the handle.
Secure the handle by pressing it on the spindle until the retaining spring engages the recess in the spindle.
Old 27th July 2013, 08:02

Glasticon and Glasticord are Bostik / EvoStick products intended for body-sealing against water ingress.

I would imagine that a general purpose mastic or silicon sealant would suffice as a replacement.

http://www.plumbingplace.co.uk/Evo-S...FWOWtAodJxIAZA

http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/...ame-Sealant/55

http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/...one-Sealant/54
Old 27th July 2013, 11:30

Brilliant! Many thanks for that information..hopefully that will do the job!! Many thanks again, very much appriciated!!!
Old 13th August 2013, 02:09

And thanks from me too. I am also working on the doors of mine and this will be great when it is time to put them back together.

TK restoration blog: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/t...dford-tk.43480
Old 1st July 2014, 23:08

G-CPTN do you have online copies of all the TK workshop manuals? I would love copies and would be quite happy to pay for them.

TK restoration blog: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/t...dford-tk.43480
Old 1st July 2014, 23:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
G-CPTN do you have online copies of all the TK workshop manuals? I would love copies and would be quite happy to pay for them.
No - I only have one hard copy (paper) of an MK (4x4 military TK).

It's not the civilian version, but the official military workshop manual.