Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
19:55
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Bus & Coach Forums > Vintage Bus & Coach Discussion

Old 23rd December 2010, 16:25

Looking for Bedford VAL info (I think).

Hello, as I mentioned in my welcome post, I am seeking info on a Bedford VAL twin steer that we converted and used as a racing car transporter in the mid 1970s. The problem is that I have very little memory about it regarding which body it had, but it had 1 distinguishing feature, it had a FORD D800 engine!
I definitely know what the engine was because it put a rod through the side just after crossing the border from Austria into Italy, and we sent a short engine out in the back of a mini pickup!
It seems odd to me that a Bedford would have a Ford engine, but it otherwise looked like a VAL apart from the FORD badge on the front. Question, did ford make a similar chassis?

Also, for modelling purposes, I am looking for general measurements for the Bedford VAL Duple Major if anyone could help.

Any thoughts? Regards, Lloyd
Old 23rd December 2010, 18:02

I can tell you anything you want to know about the D800 engine Lloyd served my apprentiship on them
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:22

Ford never made a twin-steer Chinese six bus/coach chassis as far as I know, though they did build some 'specials' as trucks (mainly for breweries).
Standard engine for early VALs was a Leyland 400, later the Bedford 466.
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:56

Thanks guys, I too served a Ford apprenticeship, on cars, but in 1970 I worked on a Ford Commercial parts counter for a year, so I knew what bits went into a D800 but never worked on them.

The reason that I asked the question originally is that I had looked at everything that I could find on the internet about the VAL and hoped to find that some had been retro fitted with other engines, especially that ours was badged as a Ford.

I collected the short engine in its Ford marked crate from a Ford dealer before it was driven to Italy, so I know that at least our VAL had a Ford 6 cylinder motor, but who fitted it? Is there a complete VAL listing anywhere.

When my company bought the coach, I went to collect it and drove it back from somewhere not too far from London, but, at this distance in time, I am afraid that I cant remember where.

Any more thoughts please.

Regards, Lloyd
Old 24th December 2010, 19:29

This might help. It might not too. I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned it.

http://wakefield-files.freehostia.com/bedfordval.htm
Old 24th December 2010, 19:56

Thanks Robert, I have been unable to email them due to the setup of my computer, but I will telephone him after Christmas as he seems very knowledgeable about the VAL.
Old 26th December 2010, 21:40

Quote:
As far as I can recall, there were 2 VALs available - the VAL14 or the VAL70. I believe that the only difference between them was the SIZE of engine, the 14 being bigger than the 70. However, I have absolutely no idea at all what 14 or 70 exactly referred to, be it the make/size of engine. I'm sure there's someone out there that knows.
The early VALs were all VAL14 - fitted with Leyland's 400 engine (6.17 litre) as Bedford didn't have a suitable engine, however they designed a new one (which was given the designation 70 - thus the VAL became the VAL70). The engine was 466 cu in (7.6 litre).

There was a sister engine with the designation 60 (381 cu in) but it wasn't fitted to the VAL (it was used in the TK models KG and KH).
Old 26th December 2010, 22:11

Hello, I have, after a long time looking, found a contact for the team that ran these coaches/transporters. If I am really lucky they may have some paddock shots showing the VAL. If I can get the registration number I will have something to go on.

Regards, Lloyd.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:02

Great news! Keep us informed . . .
Old 17th March 2011, 15:19

Where can I buy a bus?

Don't know if I am putting this in the right place on this forum but I am interested in buying a Leyland Atlantean, preferably a Liverpool one from the 1960's or 70's. Anyone know how I would make further enquiries about this?