Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
18:09
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Bus & Coach Forums > Vintage Bus & Coach Discussion

Old 9th October 2008, 20:07

The Bus Drivers introduction

Bus Drivers induction 1966ish

Had enough of being a prisoner driving in the gasworks, and only being allowed the freedom of the road on my weekends with the TA, so off I go to see about being a Southdown bus driver.

Walked into the office, if my memory serves me correctly, it was upstairs in Edward Street Garage. Had my interview and was being shown round the garage, my interviewer excuses himself and walks over to a chap who had just walked into the garage and then they both come over to me, whereupon the second man introduces himself as Mr. Trott, The Driving Examiner, They had their own in those days. After a brief chat and a look at my ordinary licence, he asked if I was interested in going out there and then, on a preliminary assessement, whereupon he would make a decision about how long I would be allocated on the driver training rota.

Cabbie, cabbie, I jumped at the chance and virtually ran round the Queen Mary doing my Driver checks. "Not necessary mister" they tell me, "it's all done for you here". Still did it every time I started a duty or took one over, time permitting. Anyway, I climb in the cab and familiarise myself with the controls, Trotty boards the bus and stands behind and to the left of me, to give directions through the opening.

Thus I was unleashed in a nearly new 30ft by 8ft 2.5 inch beauty.
Well we went through the centre and Trotty decided that he wanted to pop in to see someone at Poole Valley Bus Station and directs me to go round Old Steine, now I know that Poole Valley is down a little Lane off The Old Steine, so before he realises what has happened, I dived down the lane (Bull I know, but I wanted the job).
Well then we went along the seafront up West Street and via A steep hill (Dyke Road where I had to stop and pull away up hill, assuming I had standing passengers and do 'a snatch change first to second and proceed on , this was followed by reversing round various left side corners, moving away on a downhill, in the correct gear and letting the clutch in on the move, bringing the vehicle to a halt, downhill without using the footbrake, just handbrake and gear combinations, emergency stops etc.

We pulled into the Forecourt of the station on the way back, he had meant outside, but not been specific, more bull.

We get back and he took me over to a chap whom I learned was a Driving Instructor and said "this one is ready if you have a chance tomorrow take him in one of your groups, and give him a bit of polish", we then made our way to the office and collected the required paperwork to obtain references and medical and I was told as soon as they were back in, I could have my test and start route training.

The half hour with the instructor took place a couple of days later, between two other trainees who were on a week or two's course, and later with the paperwork and formalities completed, official test out of the way, I was on the job route learning within 10 days of interview.

Oh to be that confident today.
But how are the mighty fallen.
Part two The Guy, will follow.

Energumen

Last edited by Energumen; 19th December 2008 at 11:56.
Old 9th October 2008, 20:39

Great story Energumen and look forward to the next episode.
Old 10th October 2008, 00:04

Part Two; The Guys

Oh alright then, ha ha.

Let me start with the 'Queen Marys', if they had a fault, it was with brake fade after prolonged heavy use, such as was often inflicted on them by heavy footed drivers on the Brighton to Eastbourne Run, which tended to be very well loaded and had a couple of nasty hills at East Dean and Eastbourne end. This could mean driving one of these on the return journey, one would do so with due anticipation and care, having got the conductor to phone ahead, for a changeover spare to be put on the stand at Old Steine, to complete the Brighton end of the journey and continue the duty.

Good ere innit.

Where was I?, oh I know, so this day I am in for a bit of overtime and covering a 'Standing Spare' duty, If Jack was in a good mood, this entailed playing billiards or darts or something at the social club until called upon to do something. So Jack phones across for a spare bus to be collected from Edward Street garage and put on the stand at Old Steine to replace a No.12 road Queen Mary, which was due in at whatever time.

I duly reported to Edward Street and was allocated one of the Guys (see Billboy's picture in the Gallery), it could well have been the very one. I carried out quick checks and away I went, out into Grand Parade to make for Old Steine about a third of a mile distance I suppose. Now, well, it's like this, I had driven mobile plant, Albion All terrain 10 tonners, BK Lorry Mounted Diggers, Thorncroft Coles (ex RAF), Commer 3 Tonner and the likes all with no syncromesh. Suddenly the cocky little 'this ones ready', was totally unprepared, suffice to say, try as I might, the nearest I came to getting above second gear, was repeated imitations of an inordinately large Lion with a terribly sore throat. I am sure the whole of the bus Driving fraternity in Brighton must have heard and if not they should have, yes, how are the mighty fallen indeed.

But I parked on the through stand at Old Steine and walked down to the staff room at Pool Valley for a cuppa whilst I awaited the brakeless QM to arrive. Being stunned by my own ineptitude, I announced to the gallery of Drivers, how I had met my match and been beaten by it. Oh Dear, that started it.

"Huh, Mans buses the guys'', " they sort out the men from the boys", " Come back when you've got your knees brown Son", and so forth and so on, all richly deserved I am sure.

Then an old driver who was on the point of retiring, called me quietly aside and said " don't listen to the loud mouthed Jackasses, there is not one of them changes cleanly on the guys, unless by accident and on asking for and being given my word that I would never pass it on to the know alls, who proffessed to be experts, he explained how to go up and down the box, in near silence, if you discount the noisy Gardner revving up.

So the bus was swapped over, I took the QM back to Edward Street and hosed the brake drums until they stopped creating clouds of steam in the garage, and once again were within contact range of the brake shoes.

The secret of the gear changes was, another story for another day.

Energumen

Last edited by Energumen; 19th December 2008 at 12:00.
Old 10th October 2008, 01:16

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
I received a demonstration of how to do that by an older man. He used the clutch to pull away only then he used his left foot to maneuver the gear lever up to fourth and back down and into first with not a sound from the gear box. Never quite mastered that technique myself mind. but i could go up and down through the gears silently.
First thing in the morning when the gearbox was cold it was a quick change. Once the gearbox warmed up it was a slow change. a warm Gardner Diesel taks a few seconds to slow down when she has been reving.
If you are still with us Mr Anderson I thank you for the gearbox advice.
Old 10th October 2008, 01:22

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
Come on then all you bus drivers out there, come clean, ever work a good scam?
One evening upon arrival at the old stein, we were to work a town service (Round the houses) to Withdean. we pulled away on time empty. went up the road a wee bit then turned the lights out, turned round and ran back to the old stein where we enjoyed a couple of pints of Guinness. after that, the driver and i bought a cheap ticket each and drove round the block and into pool valley dead on time. picked up our service for Eastbourne and off we went. (naughty boys eh)
Old 10th October 2008, 01:30

Crash-gearbox changes is something that, when you've mastered it, you don't forget - yet you have difficulty describing it to others.
Rather like riding a bike . . .
Having learned to make clutchless gearchanges on my first car, I thought I'd be OK with heavy trucks, but there was loads more inertia to consider. I did master it, though only after a few totally missed changes. Stop and start again. Try again. Got it after a while (some boxes were easier than others).
Old 10th October 2008, 13:02

Hi again, yes thanks for the input, you are of course quite correct, the old chap said that as I had had the guts to admit I struggled, he would help, but let the others, go on 'talking a good job'.

I rarely used the clutch on the guys after that except for pulling away and snatch changes from first to second on a climb.

I have had fun over the years when other drivers may have been riding shotgun, some were convinced when I told them that the clutch pedal was disconnected and the gearbox of whatever I was driving was semi automatic, or the switch i pressed on the dashboard was an electric clutch. The fun died out once all the auto and semi auto boxes became commonplace.

Once when driving an outside broadcast truck for the BBC, I was sent off on an urgent detail as part of a rebroadcasting network to do with, if I remember correctly, A major political resignation. I had never driven this old truck before and within 500-800 yds. the clutch pedal fell to the floor, dead, obviously a slave or master cylinder fault or fluid leak. I just carried on to the rendevous point, which was about forty miles and then across a steep field to the top of a hill. Apart from having to switch the engine of every time I stopped and then starting it in gear on full throttle, the journey was totally unremarkable. On arriving at the rendevous, I used one of their technician's phones to advise them that it would need attention when I got back, but their workshop would not believe that it could be driven without using the clutch and sent out the fitters.

Energumen
Old 10th October 2008, 13:16

I was involved in building an OB truck for the BBC TV for the Barcelona Olympics. A Dennis 8x4 (or was it 8x2 - I forget) with a 7 speed (or was it just 6?) automatic transmission.
The spec was to ensure that it could negotiate step gradients and manoeuvre on-site yet travel at reasonable speed on highways.
Probably got photos somewhere . . .
Old 10th October 2008, 14:09

Hi, I would like to see one thanks. I only did work for the BBC via Agency, but often did The Antiques Road Show, The really Wild show and a little rigid on the 'props, for Casualty, Plus some filming in Lancashire.

The clutch truck, was I think an old commer or similar.

Regards
Energumen
Old 10th October 2008, 14:36

I think it only fair to finish the Guy Story.

You may recall my having been acquainted with the necessary techniques to drive this 'mans Bus'.

That evening , having finished my o/t duty, I catch a 12 relief to go home, to Black Rock, and sit upstairs.

Well it is a guy, and from the moment we left Pool Valley, you could hear every gear change made, I thought, this guy obviously has not got the secret. On approaching my stop, I came downstairs and peered through the glass, only to recognise the rear view of the thirty something bloke who had held court earlier with his shouts of There's Drivers and Drivers, Mans Bus etc.

I jumped as soon as it stopped, ran alongside his cab and shouted" Thanks for the lift conductor", "mens buses these".
Energumen

Last edited by Energumen; 14th October 2008 at 23:11. Reason: typing error