Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
22:36
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Bus & Coach Forums > Vintage Bus & Coach Discussion
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th April 2011, 20:14

Question What is the correct part name for?

Most of you will know of the safety rails fitted to older PSV's below the body sides. It originated with the trams and was continued with Buses, its purpose was to deflct a body (person) away from the rear wheels in the event of an accident.

It certainly had nothing to do with "Dog's", as in the past a dead dog as just a dead dog and nothing to worry about, the recent term I have seen used in the preserved bus magazines " Dog gard rail" is not correct.

There is a correct term, what is it? Does anyone know what the RM parts book called them? Or for that matter any the parts book or in the old construction and use regs or even the older PSV testers manual.

I am sure it was more than just"safety rail!

Many thanks Peter
Old 9th April 2011, 02:33

Send a message via Yahoo to billyboy
Life guard rail

I believe these to have been called "Life guard Rails"
Their purpose as you so rightly say is prevent people like cyclists and pedestrians from being crushed by the rear wheels in the event of falling.
They were secured to the vehicle by brass bolts and wing nuts, greased, so that they could be easily removed in the event of an accident.
Old 9th April 2011, 07:48

Bilboy
Thank you for your reply, I am sure you are correct.
The reason for my question was that I have noticed the term "Dog Rail" creeping into day to day bus conversations and even in print the latest example being Bus and Coach Preservaton (Article "Pressing on").In many respects it matters little what you call the rail as few folk have an interest (note the lack of replies to the question).
My interest is in maintaing PSV history in all respects be it restoring a vehicle, collecting photographs, provideing free "old" bus rides or the language and words associated with the vehicles.Conductors, half-cabs, destination blinds etc etc, in time these terms are easily lost and become fare collectors, bus managers or what ever.
You may have noticed the recent picture of my Albion Victor on this web site and noticed the absence of "Life Guard Rails", rest assured they will be fitted and held on with greased wing nuts
Thank you again for your reply, with your views, my recolections and the opinions of a couple of friends I shall now write a friendly note to the magazie.
Peter
Old 9th April 2011, 12:34

Send a message via Skype™ to coastie
Looks like "you've made an old Man very happy" Billyboy!! Fairplay to you.
Old 9th April 2011, 16:04

I didn't attempt to answer - because I just didn't know.
Of course I know what Peter is referring to, but never knew the name for them.
They were frequently seen on tramcars I believe.

Searching Googoo using various combinations suggests that 'guard rails' or 'lifeguards' is correct (I found a model website that used the term but I can't find it again), though later references of 'guard rail' apply to a rail that prevents opposite wheels from de-railing (current tramcar body designs seem to incorporate solid bodywork where early designs had the rails as discussed above) or a version of Armco barrier rail or similar pedestrian barrier. There are several meanings of 'lifeguard' of course, but it does seem to be used when referring to appropriate Matchbox 'Models of Yesteryear', so I would support billyboy's 'lifeguard rail'.

Blackpool trams seem to have lifeguards too . . .

Edited to add:- http://www.themodelbus.com/kits/rtc.htm

Last edited by G-CPTN; 9th April 2011 at 16:07.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:43

Spending time at Dunsfold on Sunday gave me a chance to ask others about Dog Guards and Life Guards.

An overwhelmong majority, 18 out 19 of long time bus owners and experienced bus operators knew the under PCV /PSV vehicle guards as Life Guards.The 19th person called them underrun guards, a name appropiate to trucks side guards.(see DVLA testers manual)
It would seem the bus guards in question are not Dog guards and have nothing to do with dogs.

Long live the Life guard!

Peter
Old 11th April 2011, 21:28

Sorted! . . . .
Old 15th July 2011, 21:32

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Davies View Post
Spending time at Dunsfold on Sunday gave me a chance to ask others about Dog Guards and Life Guards.

An overwhelmong majority, 18 out 19 of long time bus owners and experienced bus operators knew the under PCV /PSV vehicle guards as Life Guards.The 19th person called them underrun guards, a name appropiate to trucks side guards.(see DVLA testers manual)
It would seem the bus guards in question are not Dog guards and have nothing to do with dogs.

Long live the Life guard!

Peter
Umh - don't you mean VOSA testers manual?
Old 15th July 2011, 22:52

Thumbs up Life Guards

DVLA-VOSA just new names for what what was once the Ministry of Transport. At 44 you call it VOSA at 60 its the DVLA and no doubt at 80 its probabily the Ministry of Transport. Same animal same spots.
Incidentaly I do still have a copy of the DVLA testers manual and associated notes.