Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
15:43
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Vintage Truck Discussion

Old 10th March 2018, 09:42

Erf es6

Hello everyone. Thank you for admitting me to your forum. I am fairly new to truck ownership, but have recently aquired an ERF ES6 fitted with a HIAB081 knuckle boom crane to use as a yard crane. I intend sometime in the future to shorten the chassis to make it easier to manouvre in yard. My question today is something else however. When starting off from stationary, when I depress the clutch I have to hold the clutch down for more than 10 - 12 seconds before I can engage gear. The gearbox is a 6 speed Eaton. The engine is a 6 litre 6 cylinder Cummins. Once on the move, upshifting is fine but it is impossible to downshift on the move. There is no gringing/grating/rasping of gears, simply the gear lever will not engage the gear, it resists my hand pressure. Is this a problem anyone on here recognises ?. Thank you in anticipation of some advise.
Old 10th March 2018, 16:56

Some vehicles were equipped with a clutch brake which operated on the gearbox input shaft when the clutch pedal was fully depressed.
This 'brake' needed to be adjusted (and occasionally replaced) - a small diameter plate with friction material.

Having said that, I believe that the Eaton 6 speed is a synchromesh box, and clutch brakes are usually for non-synchro boxes.
Your problem might be due to worn or damaged synchronisers on the gears.

Have you tried double-declutching when down-shifting with a blip of throttle in 'neutral' (ie with the clutch engaged - pedal up - as you pass through the gate).

Another possibility is a fault with the main clutch - particularly if the engine has a 'pot-type' flywheel. If pieces of the clutch lining come off and wedge between the pressure plate and the surrounding flywheel, then the clutch can drag and cause difficult gearshifts - in the worst case it is impossible to release (pedal down) the clutch though upshifts can sometimes be achieved.

Last edited by G-CPTN; 10th March 2018 at 17:12.