Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
18:59
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Old 11th March 2012, 14:12

Bedford TK Brakes

Hi to all
I thought I had joined a while ago but maybe not [not great at IT]
Any way I think this query might be going ok.I bought a Bedford T K Hourse- box for my daughters and wife to endulge their passion for riding,however the eldest is now at Uni.general interest has wained.The box has stood for about two + years,I have managed to start it easily but the brakes are siezed on,the pedal was solid but now moves loosely down,the pressure is good,their are no leaks.We had the master cyliner replaced about three years ago and a service on the brakes was also done.I have tried moving the truck to and fro all to no avail. Does anyone know what might have happened and how to repair the fault. It is a 1974 330 diesel and we are going to try to get re MOT'd.
Thanks for any help
Steve
Old 11th March 2012, 14:17

Bedford TK Brakes

Bedford TK Brakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi to all
I thought I had joined a while ago but maybe not [not great at IT]
Any way I think this query might be going ok.I bought a Bedford T K Hourse- box for my daughters and wife to endulge their passion for riding,however the eldest is now at Uni.general interest has wained.The box has stood for about two + years,I have managed to start it easily but the brakes are siezed on,the pedal was solid but now moves loosely down,the pressure is good,their are no leaks.We had the master cyliner replaced about three years ago and a service on the brakes was also done.I have tried moving the truck to and fro all to no avail. Does anyone know what might have happened and how to repair the fault. It is a 1974 330 diesel and we are going to try to get re MOT'd.
Thanks for any help
Steve
Old 11th March 2012, 14:19

http://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=4013
Old 11th March 2012, 21:19

If memory serves correctly TK Bedfords had a transmission parking brake, this is mounted at the rear of the gearbox. Early models had a drum brake and later models had a disc brake. If you have a disc brake there is every chance the mechanical caliper is siezed. Is the handbrake lever mounted to the right of the drivers seat? Please remember that you should chock the wheels before messing with sticking parking brakes. BTW it is nearly 30 years since I worked on TK Bedfords.
Old 10th May 2013, 03:37

Hi everyone I have a KDLC5 Bedford by franziskal » Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 am

I am in the process of trying to find a fault in my KDLC5 Bedford( like a TK)
I had trouble with my cof as when they drained the rear tank valve both needles in the gauge came down. Only one is meant to.It does not this when draining the front tank. I have had mechanics look at check valves and am going back for more. There needs to be some kind of non return system to stop that valve draining both tanks.Or have they got a single tank system ? The brakes are air over hydraulic and I have never had this trouble before
Any ideas?
Old 10th May 2013, 12:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziskal View Post
Hi everyone I have a KDLC5 Bedford by franziskal » Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 am

I am in the process of trying to find a fault in my KDLC5 Bedford( like a TK)
I had trouble with my cof as when they drained the rear tank valve both needles in the gauge came down. Only one is meant to.It does not this when draining the front tank. I have had mechanics look at check valves and am going back for more. There needs to be some kind of non return system to stop that valve draining both tanks.Or have they got a single tank system ? The brakes are air over hydraulic and I have never had this trouble before
Any ideas?
Not too sure about the valves on your Bedford now as it's been a long time since I saw one close up. All modern air brake systems have a four way or multi protection valve fitted which should close off any tank that is losing pressure. It is not uncommon for these to stick in the open position from lack of use and build up of moisture and muck. It might be that your vehicle has a separate valve for each tank as I don't think that there are any auxiliary systems that use air such as air assisted clutch ? But whatever the set up is the valve/valves have got to be in the main air feed from the compressor. Once you locate it with luck it might just want stripping and cleaning.
Old 10th May 2013, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
All modern air brake systems have a four way or multi protection valve fitted which should close off any tank that is losing pressure.

It might be that your vehicle has a separate valve for each tank as I don't think that there are any auxiliary systems that use air such as air assisted clutch ? But whatever the set up is the valve/valves have got to be in the main air feed from the compressor. Once you locate it with luck it might just want stripping and cleaning.
As you have discovered from your COF, draining any one tank should not affect the other(s) - it's as simple as that.

As coachman has stated, recent vehicles will have to have protection valve(s) (also called pressure loss limiting valves) to prevent losing air with a single (pipe) failure. These operate like an inverse relay (ie no signal no delivery) as well as incorporating a non-return valve.

If your vehicle is 'old' (referring to it as KDLC5 rather than EJM would indicate this) it might not have these fitted, but just have non-return valves on each part of the air system (these might look just like a slightly larger pipe connector on the supply side of the reservoir piping) probably where the pipe from the compressor/sensing/condensing tank enters each reservoir.

I've got a circuit diagram (I can't find one online) that I will scan and try to post here - but it might not be today as I have to go out soon.
Old 10th May 2013, 19:00

Bedford air-over hydraulic schematic diagram.

Bear in mind that this is for a vehicle with trailer connections (and a winch!):-

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...ps0ef9c623.jpg
Old 8th August 2016, 23:17

not all tk,s had transmission brake