Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
16:02
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Off-Topic > Cameras, Photography and Equipment

Old 25th March 2009, 12:01

So how do you classify the ceremonial soldiers that guard Whitehall and Buckingham Palace?
These used to be tourist attractions, but now could be classified as prohibited under recent declarations.
Old 25th March 2009, 13:51

Time will tell just how far they these grey area rules on taking photographs will be stretched.

What the new law says
Section 76 of the newly introduced Terrorism Act 2008 states: 'A person commits an offence who elicits or attempts to elicit information about an individual who is or has been: a member of Her Majesty's forces, a member of any of the intelligence services, or a constable, which is of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism, or publishes or communicates any such information.' The law adds that a person found guilty of such an offence faces up to ten years in prison or a fine, or both.

What next – will you will have to look away when passing men digging holes in the road for if you look it could be interpreted as helping terrorists locate gas pipes etc
Old 17th April 2009, 08:52

Police told them to delete photos -

He was told by Police that photographing anything to do with transport was "strictly forbidden" and the officers recorded his details, including passport numbers and hotel addresses.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...os-walthamstow
Old 13th October 2009, 09:40

A brief guide on photographers rights

http://www.urban75.org/photos/photog...d-the-law.html
Old 26th December 2011, 09:47

Carry a spare card or two with you at all times when out photographing.

If the police do force you to delete your photographs, (which they can't without a court order) delete the photographs, (do not format the card) then remove the card and replace it with the spare card.

When you get home, do a search on the net for a file recovery programme,
(I use the free programme Recuva from http://www.piriform.com/recuva).

If all goes well, you dhould be able to recover all the photographs that you deleted.
Old 26th December 2011, 10:57

At a recent meeting of a photographic club I belong to, one of the members said he was approached by transport police who informed him he was commiting an offence by takeing pictures on railway property. He was then told that further action would be taken if he carried on doing this after being warned to stop - as he was not sure of what law or laws he was breaking he decided to play safe and leave. Just what threat the police thought a man in his mid seventies takeing pictures of trains was to the public I don't know ?
Old 26th December 2011, 11:06

It's Jobsworths, but, in this instance they are justified that photography (or similar activity) on private property is subject to sanctions if the property owner decides to exercise their 'right'.

There has been a rash of similar prohibitions in shopping malls - for no reason other than they can (according to property law).
Old 26th December 2011, 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
It's Jobsworths, but, in this instance they are justified that photography (or similar activity) on private property is subject to sanctions if the property owner decides to exercise their 'right'.

There has been a rash of similar prohibitions in shopping malls - for no reason other than they can (according to property law).
Yes, I would agree to a point, but, if the OP was using a good quality camera phone to make photos, then the transport policewould assume he's probably making a phone call.

As for shopping mals, that can be tricky.
A new shopping area opened in Lisburn about two years back and on my way to work one winters morning I decided to make a few photos. No one approached me as I made my photos. However, later in the day, I heard that a photographer was asked to stop making photos in the area due to possible security risks.

I often wonder if some of these employers are employing illegal staff and don't want to be found out?
Old 26th December 2011, 13:17

There are two topics that are quoted - the first was 'unauthorised' photographing of children, assuming that all photographers were paedophiles, and the other being terrorism - again assuming that all photographers were terrorists casing the joint prior to an attack.

Both are unfounded for 98% (or greater) of the population, but the vague possibility that it might occur is enough to 'justify' the beliefs of the hired 'security'.

Some of the Police attempt to enforce these restrictions on public spaces, but, again, the frequency of justification is low.
Old 26th December 2011, 23:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
At a recent meeting of a photographic club I belong to, one of the members said he was approached by transport police who informed him he was commiting an offence by takeing pictures on railway property. He was then told that further action would be taken if he carried on doing this after being warned to stop - as he was not sure of what law or laws he was breaking he decided to play safe and leave. Just what threat the police thought a man in his mid seventies takeing pictures of trains was to the public I don't know ?
He was not! However, it is not allowed to use flash or tripods. Flash for the obvious reason of dazzling drivers (potentially) and tripods are an obstruction risk.