Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
12:28
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Off-Topic > Cameras, Photography and Equipment

Old 25th January 2009, 13:59

Memory Cards

Was going to erase the photos of last years holidays from the camera memory cards but on having learned the hard way to read instructions first not after it is knackered it says to help prevent the card from becoming corrupted it is better to format the card.

Formatting overwrites everything on a card including protected images, directories and camera data, and sets up new folders and data on the card. To help ensure the integrity of the folders and data, it's important to format the card using your camera.

In the past I have always just erased them and no harm done.

Any comments
Old 25th January 2009, 14:34

I have a DSLR and I download to the computer then format the camera, I have never had any problems

Ian
Old 4th February 2009, 21:29

Just switch the camera on! go into settings find format card, click ok when you get the question or warning that you will lose everything on the card.

You sometimes buy a card that Hasn't been formatted so the camera won't recognise it so you Have to format in the Camera
Old 6th February 2009, 04:44

memory cards

I have deleted individual pictures on memory cards using windows for a couple of years now with no problems.Just make shure You dont delete any folders. So far i have not had to reformat any cards.

Ocasionally i defragment my memory cards using Diskeeper 9,but its a slow process. 20mins.

attached thumnail shows my 1gig phone memory card .Red bits are fragmented files which will be moved into there right order when the software is run.
When defragmented your Phone or PC or Camera should be able to acsess its files quicker.
Dont panic they are not all pictures Most of the files on this phone are music thats why its got 750mb on it.
reguards Les.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diskeeper9jpg.jpg (122.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by les turnbull; 6th February 2009 at 05:59.
Old 5th January 2011, 05:54

Wink

I onnly format my cards if I am having write problems - any other time, I just erase the pics from the card!
Old 5th January 2011, 20:17

I just "cut" them from the card and "paste" them into the laptop. If I do format the card, I then have to do the reverse with one image that stays on the card permanently. It has my e-mail address and phone number on. This allows people to return it to me, if ever I loose it. There is also a request that if the camera has been stolen, to return the memory card, at least. I can replace the camera but can't always replace the missing piccygraphs.
Old 6th January 2011, 05:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdavey6 View Post
I just "cut" them from the card and "paste" them into the laptop. If I do format the card, I then have to do the reverse with one image that stays on the card permanently. It has my e-mail address and phone number on. This allows people to return it to me, if ever I loose it. There is also a request that if the camera has been stolen, to return the memory card, at least. I can replace the camera but can't always replace the missing piccygraphs.
Excellent idea - I'll take that as Tip Of The Month
Old 6th January 2011, 09:19

Another tip is that you could engrave your camera and accessories with a easily usable identifier, such as a driver's licence number - this is in case they get stolen.... they can be returned to you because all the police need to do is look up your DL number on their central database and they can obtain your telephone number!