Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
23:24
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Members Area > Say Hello
Home Register Gallery TV FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th June 2014, 15:50

Any recomendations?

Hello folks. I've just joined the truck and bus forum. This is my 1983 PJK 3.5. I'm trying to find an air tank to regulator valve brake hose but I can't get a part number for it and suppliers don't seem to know what it needs.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

Clive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bus.jpg (91.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 10th June 2014, 16:20

Welcome to the forum Clive, our Bedford Expert may be able to help.
Old 10th June 2014, 20:53

Welcome to Truck and Bus Forum, Clive.
Your vehicle looks like an ex-library van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
an air tank to regulator valve brake hose
I don't understand what this part would be - the air supply from the compressor would have a hose to compensate for the engine movement then the rest of the air piping would be either steel (bundy) piping or, depending on the age of the vehicle, nylon tubing. Replacement nylon piping would be made up 'in situ' according to requirements and wouldn't have a discrete part number.

By 1983 PJK models would probably be piped in flexible black nylon tubing approximately ½ to ¾ inch in diameter. If this is the case, then you need to find a workshop that uses the same brand of tubing that uses matching end fittings.

Are you referring to the (4mm?) diameter nylon sensing line from the condensing tank (with the automatic drain valve) to the regulator valve (?) which controls the compressor cut-off pressure - this again would be supplied 'on the roll' for cutting to length in situ (with small metal olives and metal nuts), or are you referring to the load-sensing valve that supplies air to the rear brakes via a ¾ inch diameter rubber hose?

I'm confused . . .

What diameter is this hose, what approximate length is it and is it near the engine or the rear axle? Is it rubber?
What form are the end-connections? Are they metal or does the tubing push-in to a metal or plastic fitting?

What do you think that the 'regulator valve' regulates? (as, strictly speaking, any valve from a pressure-regulating valve to a footbrake valve can be described as a regulator valve. What size is the valve? Is it 3 inches tall?

What fault is apparent due to the 'failure' of this hose?

I suppose you might be talking of the multiple-circuit protection valve that feeds air to the reservoirs, but that would either be metal bundy piping or nylon tubing (pre 1970 all vehicles had all brake pipes in metal 'bundy' tubing (see:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundy_tube ). Replacements for this tubing are sometimes made from 'Kunifer' or copper (metal) tubing.

After (about) 1980 I would expect the main brake pipes to be nylon tubing (I don't know the date when this change occurred) - and there were several different suppliers with different solutions for end fittings, some of which were 'non-detachable' whilst others had metal nuts connecting to metal fittings (such elbows and through-frame connectors). You would have to find a supplier of compatible components.

Last edited by G-CPTN; 10th June 2014 at 21:25.
Old 11th June 2014, 13:14

Thanks for getting back to me

Hi There and thanks so much for getting back to me. Yes, she was once a library bus.
I've got a feeling I've miss named the part.. maybe the hose is nylon and not rubber.

I've attached a photo I took this morning.

I hope it helps.

Clive
Old 11th June 2014, 13:16

photo

Sorry, here is the photo mean to accompany my last post..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brake hose.jpg (94.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 11th June 2014, 14:01

Well, that certainly looks like a 'hose'!

In the absence of a Bedford dealer (!) I would approach any industrial hose supplier (there are many such companies supplying hydraulic hoses for construction machines - JCBs and the like):-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=br...en-US:official

Remove your part and take it in and they will have a suitable replacement made up while you wait - that's what they do for a living!

Are you certain that your hose is faulty? It looks 'good'.