Truck & Bus Forum Truck & Bus Forum
11:08
Welcome to the Truck & Bus Forums
Welcome!A very warm welcome to truckandbusforum.com, a completely FREE online community for people worldwide with an interest in vintage and modern trucks and buses.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Please feel free to join by clicking HERE.

Go Back   Truck & Bus Forum > Truck Forums > Road Haulage Discussion

Old 13th September 2010, 16:33

It's inevitable that China will become a major supplier of all sorts of technology, especially whilst labour costs are lower than elsewhere (the same applies to India).
Old 15th September 2010, 02:06

One of the previous windfarms that were built here, the blades came from Vietnam. They came through the port of Napier for a windfarm up in the Ruahine ranges.

Mike
Old 15th September 2010, 12:05

Quote:
windfarm on the South Heads of the Manakau Harbour
May 2005:- http://www.nzherald.co.nz/waiuku/new...ectid=10124665

http://windenergy.org.nz/nz-wind-far...d-farms/te-uku

http://www.meridianenergy.co.nz/OurP...roject+Te+Uku/

http://www.meridianenergy.co.nz/OurP...une-July+2010/
Quote:
The Te Uku project will see the first installation of the new Siemens SWT-2.3-101 wind turbines in the Asia-Pacific region. With a diameter of 101 m, the rotor of the new SWT-2.3-101 has a swept area of 8000 m2. The new turbine is based on the design of the widely deployed 2.3-MW family.
September 10th 2010:-
Quote:
The first shipment of massive turbine blades and tower sections for the Te Uku wind farm is due to arrive at the Auckland wharves next week, though it is still too early to say when road transportation to the Wharauroa Plateau will begin.
Each turbine blade is 49 metres long and weighs 10.5 tonnes, while the towers will be 80 metres high, and weigh 170 tonnes each.
Once unloaded the components will be taken by truck to the wind farm site over the next three months.
Wind farm project manager Robert Batters said things such as the weather would determine the schedule for road transportation.
“Because of this we can’t say exactly what day the first trucks are expected to arrive in Te Uku, but we will be carefully managing the transportation of the turbine components and keeping the community informed as and when information comes available,” he said.
“Our aim is to cause as little inconvenience to local people as possible.”
The biggest disturbance to traffic will come when the trucks travel over the Raglan Deviation.
This will be done outside of peak commuter times, with trucks due to arrive at the deviation no earlier than 9am, Mr Batters said.
Traffic will be stopped for 10-15 minutes at a time as trucks then make their way over the hills to the wind farm site.
Turbines will be transported over the deviation during the daytime, primarily on weekdays.
“We will not be transporting in foggy conditions or bad weather, which means if we have experienced prolonged weather delays trucks may be in the area on the occasional Sat-urday.
“We will not be transporting on Sundays, public holidays or at night.”
Three large turbine components will be freighted from Auckland each day, travelling along State Highway 1 before turning on to Horotiu Rd, Te Kowhai Rd and State Highway 23.
Trucks will then travel along Te Mata Rd, with traffic being stopped for up to 10 minutes on Kawhia Rd from the Te Mata Rd turnoff to the wind farm site.
From:- http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2010/...uku-wind-farm/

Last edited by G-CPTN; 15th September 2010 at 12:19.
Old 15th September 2010, 12:14

Wow, thanks for all that info, you know more than I do. I had no idea that a wind farm was being built a way down there.
That's quite a trip from Auckland.
I am interested in the number, as we have been told there are 80 blades coming, that doesn't divide into 28 turbines.
I had a look at the unloading tonight. Some of the masts are out of the vessel, and they are huge. Two have been loaded on to the multi axle trailers.
But the most interesting thing is that the ships appears to have bought a huge crane as well.
There are lots of latice booms on the wharf which are obviously part of a crane, and they are also huge.
No sign yet of the crane body, but I'll keep you all posted.

No photos today, sorry, I was too busy when the sun was out and only got down there when it was dark.

Rgds/Mike
Old 15th September 2010, 13:02

What was puzzling to me at first was that the Happy River is a Heavy Lift vessel with two cranes built in.
http://giantmarine.fr/images/referen...e/heavy_05.jpg

Your initial photographs showed a mobile truck-mounted crane being used - my question was why? (when the ship has its own lifting facilities).

Now it seems that the mobile was just for the blades and the Happy River will probably use its own cranes to unship the towers . . .

Whilst the mobile crane was rated at 100 tonnes, this is at a restricted (small) radius. A much stronger crane is needed to be able to lift 100 tonnes at maybe 30 metres or more.
(I'm sure that hilifta - and others on here - will know this of course.)
Old 16th September 2010, 12:44

Todays update.

The large crane finally put in an appearance from the depths of the ship.
It is a monster, a Terrex-Demag TC2800.
Docs show it as built in Denmark and it does have some Danish notices on it.
KCWind.com on the side.
I shall upload some photos shortly.
The ship sailed this afternoon and the wharf is chock a bloc, it is an amazing sight.
What I originally thought were turbines are in fact the nacelles that the blades attach to, and what I thought were the masts are the turbines. They are truly large.
There is no sign at all of any masts. I can only assume that they have been built here.
I'll try and download some photos now from my camera and hopefully upload some before I fall asleep.

Mike

Last edited by hilifta; 16th September 2010 at 22:38.