View Single Post
Old 28th September 2008, 22:08

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
I've not driven anything noteworthy for nearly twenty years (retired, hurt) but I did drive a prototype 'auto-shift' - a manual 16-speed gearbox that shifted using air-actuators controlled by computer according to load and speed(s).
The beauty was that I knew the route and couldn't fault the system.
Anybody got the production versions?

The very first 'fly-by-wire' gearshift system that I tested (around 1977) packed up in the middle of a busy street in central Luton. Very quickly there was grid-lock and a pedestrian policeman ambled up. He asked what was the problem. I explained (or so I thought) and he said "Well if you could just pull it into the side of the road . . . " http://209.85.48.8/1889/52/emo/zacepi.gif
Evening all,
I currently drive an Iveco Strallis (430 6x2) with "Eurotronic" gearbox, which could be just what the production version would be like.
I absolutely love it. I didn't want it a t first, being quite happy with a 16 speed ZF. (Though I would've prefered an Eaton Twin Splitter!!) Now I've got it, the ONLY acceptable alternative would be; the Eaton!
One job we used to do was down to Southampton. Empty to Alton, in Hampshire and reload for Deptford. Tip and reload Deptford for Wandsworth. Tip and reload for Deptford. Tip and reload again for home (Leeds).
From Alton I used to go A31, A3 to Wandsworth, then round towards Vauxhall Bridge before going through Peckham and New Cross Gate to Deptford. (Might not be the very best route but I knew it well.)
As you can imagine the Deptford to Wandsworth bit was just the same route in the opposite direction. THen back again to Deptford. Deptford to home is always A2 then various route to the Woolwich Ferry and eventually onto the M11.
I never thought this was particularly HARD work with the ZF. Then I got the Eurotronic and it suddenly became very easy work indeed. The automated shift and the ability to set the speed limiter to whatever speed you like allows you to concentrate on exactly where you want the wagon to go.
Brilliant stuff but I'd still like another go in a motor with a Cummins engine and an Eaton Twin Splitter. Just to prove I still can do it.