Thread: gear boxes
View Single Post
Old 14th September 2008, 20:57

Yes,the old drawbar - the "proper" "A" frame type.You could have some fun with them.
When I came off tanker work in 1979 the firm I went to work for had quite a few of them.Scania 111s,then Ford Transcontinentals then back to Scania 82Ms.We pulled 24 ft trailers so the whole outfit could carry 48 roll cages.Nobody wanted to drive them and I used to have a go reversing on the trailer park when I came off nights.I got used to them after a while as I used to help the night shunter.We never nosed trailers in,always backed them in and the trick was to watch your mirrors and not put too much lock on.If you got in a tangle you only pulled forward far enough to straighten the dolly and had another go!I finished up on them regular on nights for five years and never had a problem - in fact I could get them in some places where you couldn't get a 40ft trailer.There was hardly any cut-in.When they got rid of them and I went back onto artics I kept putting the wrong lock on for a start,I felt a right bloody idiot
I remember Alstons Ray,are they still going?