View Single Post
Old 10th May 2013, 17:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachman View Post
All modern air brake systems have a four way or multi protection valve fitted which should close off any tank that is losing pressure.

It might be that your vehicle has a separate valve for each tank as I don't think that there are any auxiliary systems that use air such as air assisted clutch ? But whatever the set up is the valve/valves have got to be in the main air feed from the compressor. Once you locate it with luck it might just want stripping and cleaning.
As you have discovered from your COF, draining any one tank should not affect the other(s) - it's as simple as that.

As coachman has stated, recent vehicles will have to have protection valve(s) (also called pressure loss limiting valves) to prevent losing air with a single (pipe) failure. These operate like an inverse relay (ie no signal no delivery) as well as incorporating a non-return valve.

If your vehicle is 'old' (referring to it as KDLC5 rather than EJM would indicate this) it might not have these fitted, but just have non-return valves on each part of the air system (these might look just like a slightly larger pipe connector on the supply side of the reservoir piping) probably where the pipe from the compressor/sensing/condensing tank enters each reservoir.

I've got a circuit diagram (I can't find one online) that I will scan and try to post here - but it might not be today as I have to go out soon.