View Single Post
Old 30th September 2008, 21:12

Well,lets see. Not a tractor unit but I inherited an AEC MK5 in 1970,6-speed box,690 engine,CAV fuel pump and it was a flyer,ex Cawoods Fuel Oils.
After several Mandators I got a TL12 engined Marathon PCL 553R and that motor didn't half earn me some brass
When I came off tankers and onto the Littlewoods contract in 1979 after a host of Scania 81s I got a Seddon-Atki with the 240 Gardner and Fuller box and that was another good tool.Then onto the ultimate motor,in those days,the Ford Transcontinental on drawbar work with the 290 Cummins and 13-speed Fuller and I was sorry to see it go - especially as I was given a Scania 82M in place of it
I came off the road in 1986 and went shunting but after being made redundant in 1994 I went back on tankers for a few months and had the best motor of the lot - an ERF E14 with the Eaton Twin-splitter box - I always liked the Cummins/Fuller combination.
I've driven several other wagons -Albions,Leylands,all AEC models from MK3 uppards,a three-axle Foden with the 280 RR, Scanias,Volvos,Bedfords-TK,KM and the TM with the Detroit Diesel but the ones mentioned above are the motors I remember best.

Having looked at the poll list I know where I'm putting my cross.

Last edited by Mandator; 30th September 2008 at 21:17.