View Single Post
Old 10th October 2008, 08:41

Send a message via AIM to ceylon220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandator View Post
You are too far away deckboypeggy,I live in the Isle of Man and Dave is in Cumbria.It would have to be an exceptionally clear day to see you in Littlehampton from IOM.
I thought ABC licences were abolished late 60s too.And I'm sure us old buggers would appreciate the wagons that are running about today even if the camaraderie is missing.
Must go,got a changeover in Ramsey
Sea's rough tonight,gale blowing,no fastcraft sailings to L'pool tomorrow.Good job we've the Ben - My - Chree plying twice daily to Heysham,otherwise Tesco would have nowt on t'shelves.

Remember years ago driving on contract to a local foam company who made foam seats for the car industry,the trailers were aluminium single axle 40ft box vans which when travelling in high winds caused quite a bit of trouble keeping them on the road not like curtain siders where when empty you tied the curtains back,one instance was when two of the firms own units were going towards Shap on the M6 m/way one of the vans began to sway in the strong wind (fully loaded with foam) but kept on the concrete until just after Tebay where the hills part slightly and form a gully, this is where the wind gets up to speed at that point,the van ran on one wheel and over she went, the other driver following pulled up to see if his mate was ok ran to the overturned unit/van just as his own van toppled over in the wind, from that day the company placed a floor with a covering of 2"x2"concrete slabs, this helped a lot to keep their trailers firmly on the ground-----remember using the CBs and drivers asking what you were carrying and we would reply
"Glider engines"--we were not far wrong as these loads carried no weight at all.Another day again on the M6 near the M1 junction I peered thro the left hand mirror and saw smoke billowing out of the rear of the trailer(another load of foam) pulled in and found the rear brake drum alight--panic stations ---within minutes the police and fire service was on the scene, a passing motorist had got in touch with them, when asked what the load was the police immediatly closed the M/Way down, the fire brigade hosed the drum down and after an inspection sent me on my way to the nearest truck garage to replace the old shoes and repair what other damage there was, if the van had caught fire the whole area would have been cleared, these van had very little service given to them and were only given a seen too when due for test as most firms did in those days, makes you thankful for all these roadside ministry checks although a few won`t agree to that----the only check I make these days is to the Doc for my MOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too windy out there today and raining, I of M not in view so its a feet up day watching the rubbish on TV--By the way mate, have you checked to see if your cash is safe in that bank, worlds in a sorry state at the moment.