Thread: Hello
View Single Post
Old 31st May 2009, 18:41

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUCKJOCKY View Post
That was some welcome being called a Limy. On the sister web site "Ships Nostalgia" there is a thread titled "Stormy Weather" for heated discussions and being called a limy may force me to suggest a thread is started on those same lines. (*))

Any way all is said in jest.

Yes I am a "Limy" but I would prefer saying a Geordie unless a Limy means a posh Geordie, I was born and brought up in Wark, Northumberland and back in those days it was known as Dodge city thanks to all of the wagon owners, drivers or mechanics who lived there.

I do remember my dads first wagon was a BMC 4 wheeler, NJR 99, painted grey and red, flat bed and he would go off for a week at a time or longer if the loads were there. he had a piece of plywood down the back of the seats that he would lift over the seats and the engine cover to sleep on at nights.

I remember going with him to sit at the quay at Newcastle waiting for a load and then getting one and the adventure of going off to a new place. Once there and un-loading trying to find a return load. We were so poor we had canned grape fruit and potatoes from Forfar to live on for a few days until he got a load of crisps from Newcastle.

Then he had a 6 wheel Albion with a trailing rear axle that got him into alot of trouble when he went onto the building sites.

His first new truck was a 4 wheel Dodge with a Perkins engine and a long flat bed, followed by another Dodge, 6 wheeler with a first model Cummins that was so noisy it blew windows out of a bank in Cumberland.

Then he found and bought Volvo's and he stuck with them mostly except for a huge Ford which I can not remember the model name and then a couple of Mercedes.

I will have to see if I can find some photos of the old ones

any way thanks for the welcome and my dads trucks had J.O. & M.F. Elliott on the sides of the Grey & Red cabs.
so you finally ,made it.chinese six here we come.ford might have been D serie,s or the big transcontinentle.

Last edited by Dingbat; 31st May 2009 at 18:49.