Thread: darloboy
View Single Post
Old 19th September 2010, 22:15

First time I visited Sydney, I had been advised that I 'wouldn't need a raincoat', but they were having the most severe rains for years - all public transport was stopped and there were floods 'everywhere' (with walls toppled by the flow of water through residential districts).

Apparently it was August 1986:-
Quote:
The August 1986 floods is an event that lives in the mind of any Sydney-sider who experienced it. You ask anyone - they may not know the date but when you remind them they say "yes - that's the one!". Now there have been other floods in this generation - but this particular event is astonishing given the record rainfall recorded in Sydney - 328mm in 24 hours in Sydney with regions in usually a much drier western Sydney exceeding the 250mm rainfall barrier.
Quote:
the worst flooding in Sydney occurred on the 5-8 August 1986. Almost half of Sydney's rainfall fell on the city during this time. Six people died due to flooded-related causes. The Sydney weather during this time was dreadful to say the least. People had to spend many days indoors as it was simply to dangerous to venture outside due to the gale force winds and torrential rain. Worse still no one wanted to drive on the roads for fear of being swept away by the flood waters.

Last edited by G-CPTN; 19th September 2010 at 22:25.