View Single Post
Old 16th January 2009, 01:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-CPTN View Post
I note that you are a company driver, so you've got someone looking over your shoulder as well as 'holding your hand' and carrying the operating costs. I wondered about trailers (if you were an owner-driver) but I guess that that's not your worry. Are they company-owned - or are you moving third-party trailers?

What load is so important that it needs moving from New Jersey to Utah? Would it not be 'better' to send it by rail?

How is your sleep-cabin heated? Do you have to run the main motor? If so, does this happen automatically?

Cat or Cummins? What size?
What is your current gross weight? (I saw you catching another rig on upgrades but losing it on the downgrades.)

What speed do you choose to cruise at (given good road conditions)? I see many rigs passing you 'easily' (here all heavy trucks are fitted with speed limiters so tend to 'follow-my-leader' - or run side-by-side trying to pass - though higher-powered rigs can overtake heavily-laden slower trucks).
Yes, I am a company driver. I find it hassle-free to drive, and they pay me. End of deal. Anything wrong with truck is at their expense. If I do have a breakdown, they pay for hotel, daily layover pay, etc.

The company I drive for has 1800+ drivers. 25% are owner-operators....the rest are company drivers. The company has over 3000 trailers scattered throughout the country.

I haul frozen food stuff 99% of the time, and I haul what is known as "JIT" (Just in Time)...meaning it cant go by rail. From the factories/plants to the stores is less than a week, usually a day before they need it on the store shelves. Rail movements are usually reserved for autos, and other not time sensitive stuff.

I have a Volvo VN670, 2008, with a Volvo engine. The speed limiter is set at 62MPH. The national speed limit is usually 65, but a handful of states require trucks to run no faster than 55MPH.

Current Gross currently is: 77,640 pounds.

The tractor is equipped with an emergency heater. Runs directly off fuel in the tank, and comsumes just ONE gallon for every 20 hours of use. It really puts out the heat, let me tell you. A small fan runs off the batteries. The truck is also equipped with an automatic sensor that when the batteries go low....the truck starts and charges the batteries ONLY. That is also good for keeping oil/engine warm during the cold winters.