Thread: Commer 2 stroke
View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2013, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceylon220 View Post
ORM857 Commer. this was a sight to see at night when tackling steep hills--talk about a firework display---don`t know how many times that I was pulled up by motorist telling me that I was on fire--could never find out why the cab was leaning slightly back instead of being straight, she was always reliable especially on a hard frosty morning going up into Scotland you would see the modern wagons at the Moss Cafe having to have heat brought onto the diesel tanks with fires set up in 5 gall drums to thaw out the fuel--never had that trouble, no built in cab heaters in those days.no bunks built in, just crash out along the seats, these young drivers of today don`t know the half of it, cabs now have all the comfort of home.
Hi Ceylon,

Wonderful pic thanks : )..

Great recollections : )....dad used tell me some staggering stories travelling the country in the those lorries, One freezing night exhausted after a marathon drive he pulled into a layby, fell asleep arms across the huge steering wheel...woke with a startle, and had "froze" to the wheel !!! they just got on with it then...staggering men.

Kind Regards

Derrick