View Single Post
Old 28th April 2013, 08:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar View Post
As far as I can tell, this pump is identical to mine: http://shop.startermotorsalternators...p#.UXwGQMp1mb4

I guess that's rotary type. I have a manual showing the pump, mine is the first type in this document, the CAV hydralically Governed DPA starting on page 11. The PDF file is too big to upload as an attachment, so I've uploaded it to a webserver at this address: http://superbum.org/Bedford_330_Fuel_and_exhaust.PDF

This pump has two bleeding screws, see page 11, one on the pump body and one on the top of the governor. As usual, one bleeds the lower one first and then finishes with the one on the top/governor. I can reach and see the pump on the left side, but can't see the right side. I can only reach the pump with my left arm, so in-depth inspection is difficult.

I can reach the 3 or 4 injector pipes from the rear, the front ones are out of range. I have tried to open them and crank, and as mentioned above, I don't get the proper "burst" of fuel I'm used to seeing when venting injection pipes, it's more of a weak trickle.
If you are quite certain that you have a good supply of fuel to the injector pump but nothing or very little fuel coming out of the injectors, then it must be the injector pump at fault. Does it only have a mechanical stop lever or is there a stop solenoid as well ? Solenoids can burn out or lose there feeds, if it has one it will get its feed from the ignition, to test it turn this on and then pull the wire off and then re-connect it you will hear a click if it's working. If it only has a mechanical stop make sure the lever arm is not lose on the spindle and it's not just the arm that's moving. I also seem to recall that DPA pumps had a filter screen in the union on the top of the pump where the fuel feed connects. This was a last ditch defence against bits of rubbish going into to it, you should be able to check this by taking the feed pipe off and looking into the top of the pump. Going back to the procedure for bleeding the system, the instructions were at one time to first bleed from the lower bleed screw - close this off then bleed from the top one, turn the engine 180 degrees and repeat the process.
Finally if all else fails then there is always every diesel fitters favourite tool, the can of ' Easy Start ' but not too much or you can cause damage. The best way is straight into the Venturi with the air filter trunking off and the engine spinning over, but again not too much. Good luck and let me know how you get on.