View Single Post
Old 27th April 2013, 15:46

Yesterday I pulled the inlet pipe/float from the tank. The bottom 4-5" of the inlet pipe was covered in something that reminded me of a mixture of tar and bitumen. The only thing I had that was able to remove it was xylene, and I think I got most of it. I don't think it were enough of it inside the pipe for that to cause the problem though. It did nothing to reslove the buildup of "pressure" when I pump, so I opened the fuel line at different places and found that it cause is indeed pressure (not vacuum), and the pressure/blockage is within the injector pump itself (if flows freely after the filter).

It's hard to remember just how freely the fuel is supposed to flow through the injector pump with both bleeding screws open, so maybe this isn't a part of the problem at all. Some fuel manages to get through, and after a lot of bleeding I can't see any more of those tiny air bubbles, so I'm guessing those came from me replacing the feed pump and filter and somehow got "trapped" somewhere and only released in very small amounts.

However, I still haven't gotten any response bleeding on the injector lines themselves. I get some very few droplets coming out, but no high pressure "burst" as it's supposed to, so it seems like the high pressure pump doesn't do it's job.

At this stage it looks like my injector pump might have died, or that I still have some air in the system - I'm not sure which. It's very strange in any case, as I've bleed the Bedford several times before and it's always went very fast without any trouble.

It's sad though, since I don't really think this engine is in good enough condition (smoke, low compression) to justify a replacement injector pump so if that's the case it a engine replacement would be the right thing to do. There are very few TK's left here in Norway though, so I don't think sourcing a good engine will be very easy. It's also quite a big job since I have to remove the cab to replace it, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort even if I could find one. This just may be end-of-life for my beloved Bedford, and it's a real shame since the rest of the car is working just fine.

I'm going to give it one more try later today to see if I can somehow manage to get some pressure on the injectors.