Truck & Bus Forum

Truck & Bus Forum (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/index.php)
-   Say Hello (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hello From Los Angeles (https://www.truckandbusforum.com/showthread.php?t=201)

TomC 4th October 2008 04:41

Hello From Los Angeles

Just to say Hello to all. I drove cross country truck for 21 years from 1979 till 2000-my last truck a 1985 Kenworth K100E 90" aerodyne cabover with a 96" drom sleeper with all amenities behind on 235" wheelbase. Since 2001 I have been working with Los Angeles Freightliner in new truck engineering and sales. I have a '77 AMGeneral transit bus I converted to a motorhome, and am starting on converting my '85 Kenworth-going to have a 32ft box made with a garage in it, and stretch the wheelbase 48" to accomodate. The truck has a Caterpillar 3406B 400hp, and the bus has a Detroit 8V-71TATAA (turbocharged air to air aftercooled). Like talking engines. Good Luck, TomC

Ian 4th October 2008 08:08

Welcome to the forum Tom

Ian

G6 UXU 4th October 2008 08:33

Hello Tom and welcome. All the best.

Western SMT 4th October 2008 14:36

Tom - welcome to this site and look forward to hearing about your activities.

Pat Bourke 4th October 2008 16:48

Hi Tom, welcome from Ireland, drove across the states for 10 yrs for a large relocation company you will see the name on my photos. Really enjoyed the trips. Regards Pat.

TomC 5th October 2008 16:05

Pat- my last contract was with United Van Lines doing Special Commodities which includes shows, exhibits, electronics, industrial moving. I did house hold moving (or as we pronounce it hassel moving) for 15 years, 10 with Bekins Van Lines. I was with 10 different companies, and if I ever went back to moving, would go again with United Van Lines. Good Luck, TomC

G-CPTN 5th October 2008 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomC (Post 567)
Detroit 8V-71TATAA (turbocharged air to air aftercooled). Like talking engines.

Tell us more about DDAD engines.
I'm a fully-trained DDAD 2-stroke engine maintenance engineer (though that was thirty years ago). It was deemed necessary for me to understand the workings as part of my job as a vehicle test engineer ( and yes, I've had one running backwards . . . ).
Started with 6V-53 then 6V-71 then 8V-71 and then 8V-92 (including Ts).
Got to be one of the best sounds in life (loved hearing them in the backs of coaches in Oz). Even had an 8V-92T fitted with a Jake Brake that blew its exhaust outlet pipe from the turbo whilst driving it through the narrow steep roads in Southern Italy.
Had to drive for miles before we could get it fixed . . . :rolleyes:

Later I dealt with 16Vs as installed in Airfield Crash Tenders (though never stripped one - just drove them).

Pat Bourke 5th October 2008 17:45

Greetings TomC, Thanks for reply. I was with North American Van Lines right up to the time they divided up. Was a bed bugger for a couple of years, then went to Blanketwrap, finally went to Electronics and Exhibits whic I enjoyed very much. Will send you a PM later and give you the whole low down. Lights on for safety. Regards Pat.